Is it wrong to let young children use swear words?

I'm mainly asking this because I have NO issue with swearing whatsoever. I don't think swearing makes you a "bad" person or anything of the sort. I know certain people have an issue with swearing, and that's perfectly fine, I just won't curse around them. But I'll drop F-bombs consistently as long as you're okay with it.

I'm planning on having children soon and I'm wondering what my "rule" will be when it comes to them using swear words. As of right now, I'm thinking about making it okay for them to curse at home, but teach them that it isn't okay to use words in a setting where they can get in trouble for it, like in school. I mean, I know for certain that there are 8-9 year old kids that curse when they are alone but don't do so around adults. Is it okay for a parent to let their children use curse words at home but tell them not to use those words in school? What's the worst that can happen because of this?

Favorite Answer

i completely agree with you and have thought the same thing for ages, thats how i was raised and i'm fine and i haven't turned into someone who curses all the time or at work or anything.

When you consider the negative impact that using profanity can have on your life, then certainly you will want to protect your child from using swear words. The Book "Young People Ask...Answers That Work" says that cursing isn't just about words. Your speech reveals what is going on inside you. Using foul language, then, could indicate that you are insensitive to the feelings of others. Is that the kind of person you really are? Is that the kind of person you want your child to be? The Bible says: "whatever comes out of your mouth comes from the heart."-Matthew 15:18.

Profanity is verbal pollution. Why subject others, or yourself, to it. The book Cuss Control says the way we speak can determine who your friends will be, the amount of respect you will get, influence promotions and jobs, and how strangers respect you. Finally, the Bible counsels:"Let a rotten word not come out of your mouth...put away...abusive speech."-Ephesians 4:29,31. Kudos to you for considering this question before you bring a child into the world.

Well, the consequences of being a different person outside your home than you are inside of it are obvious... and this is essentially what happens here. Just a thought, but consider whether you want to raise your children to have one rule?

Above all else, love them.

• Joe

The No Swearing Policy is the best. You never swear, they will realize it's not the thing to do. It'll happen anyways in the schoolyard and all, but they'll know what's appropriate. And cussing at home is definitely not cool for kids.

If course it is wrong. Very wrong.

• edward

I don’t even let people swear in my house. I don’t swear because i was taught if you have to swear, you have nothing important to say. It’s a waste of air anyway

• y

If you allow them to use them at home, they will use the same language out of the home, it is just how it works.

• martin

It's not a crime or a sin, but it's more a question of how people are conditioned and brought up in the surroundings of adult family members. You'd probably want your kids to be respectful in the way they speak, and associate with similar people.

"I'm mainly asking this because I have NO issue with swearing whatsoever. " - Well, good for you but you are ignorant that there are other people in the world who have ears and have to hear it. Everything isn't about you. You are clearly very young and very immature. Ever hear "What comes out of your mouth tells the world what is in your heart?" When you cuss you are telling people exactly who you are and it isn't someone with good character. When you apply for a job your social media will be checked, workplaces are more likely to hire people who do not cuss because it makes the company look bad. Good luck with getting into college too.

Source(s): 24, do not cuss and raised to respect others

Little kids like 2 or 3 are not going to understand that they should only use certain words at home. Then they are going to say it at daycare or school and you are going to be looked down apon. If they are 16 and up then yeah sure. I doubt it would be good to teach them curse words at a young age. It's unnerving to hear a little kid say mf or any curse word.