Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

How long does it take to complete a Toxicology report to determine 'cause of death'?

My uncle passed. We're trying to sort out his affairs. Unfortunately his death certificate lists 'deferred' as the cause of death. He passed away at Los Angeles County hospital. According to everyone we speak too..we cant figure anything out until the Medical examiner determines the cause of death. We have been told the Examiners office is waiting for the Toxicology reports. Its going on 4 months since he passed. Not sure what to do next. please help. I appreciate any information you can provide. thanks in advance.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The L.A. Coroner's Office is the most backlogged in the country so everything takes forever. But this has created a cottage industry of independent medical examiners so you might consider contacting one of those vendors.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It is not unusual to wait 6 months or more for toxicology. It is common for routine tests to get bumped by higher priority cases.

• 6 months ago

It is unlikely that the cause of death would delay the sorting out of his affairs.

Probate courts and such don't need a cause of death only a proof of death.

• 6 months ago

Given the backlogs, it can take awhile.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

no foul play involved. at least i dont think so. we are in a different part of the state and he had been dealing with health issues over the past year or so. According to his medical records he had a stroke at his house. His job called the police because he didn't show up to work. Police found him barely conscience, the EMT showed up and took him to the hospital. he passed a day or so later in the hospital unfortunately.

• 6 months ago

Tox reports don't take more than a few days. What should be causing you concern is why the ME ordered a tox report in the first place. Is foul play suspected?

• 6 months ago

Anything from 10 minutes to 6 months.

• 6 months ago

That's a normal wait time

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.