The person I m commissioning for wants to print the drawing. What file type should I send them?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section- I know its kinda computery related as well.

I m drawing an icon for a family member and they want to print it (just on copy paper, nothing fancy) and I was wondering what type of file I should send them? I m using 300 dpi for the resolution (thats what I read is best for print) but should I send it to them as a jpg or png? I read jpg is better for print- but I just wanna double check.

Should I send them both? Png for online use and jpg for print? Or...?

Thanks in advance!

• Tim D

The problem with resolution is that it is only 300 ppi* at one size, if they were to take the file and print it at twice the size it would be effectively printing 150 ppi (150 should be fine for most home printers however). This is why most professionals prefer vector graphics.

A PNG cannot be in CMYK (the four colours that most printers operate with) so it might shift the colour when you print it. A JPG can be CMYK but loses some quality when saving (how much depends on the amount of compression).

Personally I would send both and let them choose. Or I would create it in vector graphics (Adobe Illustrator or similar is ideal) and then give them a wider spread of files including pdf.

*it is pixels per inch not dots per inch for file resolution – but everyone gets that wrong