Problems with my air conditioning unit?

I have an outside unit for 1400 sq ft townhouse that is about 10 years old. I just had a new fan motor installed and updates added to it to make it more efficient. The problem is that for the past 2 night I have gotten home my house is at 78 and not the 74 it is supposed to be. The outside unit is running and it is not iced over and the copper refrigerant line is cool to the touch, the fan however is not running. If I cut off the breaker for the unit and wait 10-15 minutes before turning it back on the unit and fan start working again. They work through the night and at the very least to that afternoon. I have noticed that my vents seem to be constantly blowing air now though, before they would only do it periodically to keep the temp down. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

low refrigerant will cause this. so will control problems.

• elhigh

It sounds to me like your outdoor blower is cycling off for some reason. Whoever you had in to install that, drag them back out and tell them to make it work like it's supposed to.

An outdoor fan shouldn't cycle off while the compressor is still running unless it's being controlled by a low ambient system, a system that cycles or slows the fan when outdoor temperatures are low enough that the system pressure gets too low. If they installed one, it seems to be working incorrectly.

As to the vents blowing constantly, check your thermostat and make sure it isn't turned to FAN ON. If you want it to turn off when cooling isn't needed, set it to FAN AUTO.