Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 months ago

Question to Jews only: How did the ancient Jews have such success against large empires like (see description for the rest of the question)?

the Greek empire, but in the middle ages did poorly against small local Christian mobs attacks (in events like the black death pogroms) , then doing poorly against multiple European nations (Nazi Germany and collaborators in occupied or axis territory) in a genocide, but then successfully defeated multiple Arab nations after coming out of a genocide?

Update:

@all hat: I have already spoken to historians and my history professor but I want to hear the jewish perspective on why their success fluctuates throughout history also why did you say "racism" jews are a religious group of different races not A race.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Yeah, you have a history professor, sure.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Why do you say we had "success" against large empires? The Assyrians conquered us in the 7th century BC, destroying 10 of the 12 tribes of Israel. The Babylonians conquered us around 600 BC and destroyed the temple. Then it was the Persons, Greeks, Egyptians and Romans. Then it was the Arabs, the Crusades, the Mongols, the Mamluks, the Ottomans.

Our country has always been fought over. We believe that our faith in God and community is more important than a piece of land. Over time we emigrated into Europe. We were OFTEN persecuted because we wore close-knit, worked hard and were successful, and were not Christian. The only thing new about Nazi Germany is that anti-semitism was institutionalized and used as a political tool.

We beat the Arabs in the early conflicts for the modern state of Israel because we were organized and unified with a common God, common purpose, and community....and we all prepared and fought in the early years...our backs were to the wall so to speak. Even today military service is required of both you men and women over the age of 18. As a percentage of GDP our military spending has been some of the highest in the world.

• I don't think the Mongols ever made it into the Levant. Though I'm sure there were Jewish people in various other places that had been subject to khanates.

• 7 months ago

They didn’t. Egyptians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Turks, and even British all ruled over the southern Levant where the Jewish people call their homeland.

It’s true the Kingdom of Israel managed to be sovereign for a time while the surrounding imperial powers were still rebooting after the Bronze Age collapse and also the Hasmoneans were able to hold onto their rebellious independence briefly. But for almost their entire history the ‘Jews’ of Israel have been subjected.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

I guess you never heard of the Babylonians and Assyrians. The Greek Empire dominated the Jews, as did the Roman Empire.

After that, the Jews were a diaspora. Kind of hard to fight against a majority of Christian mobs as a minority, and forget about an entire nation with armies behind it like in Nazi Germany.

But then in 1948 the most powerful nations in the world.. the British Empire, the USA, and the USSR.. decided to give the Jews a homeland, a tiny tract of land in the former Roman and Ottoman territory of Palestine (Palestine never once existed as an independent nation prior) and by uniting people and combining resources and because there were a lot of highly trained military personnel and lots of surplus equipment from WWII they were able to hold off multiple Arab attacks. Desperation played a role.

Of course, a lot of this came from funding from the US where there is a large Jewish population. But that’s how it happened.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

You ain't got a clue let's be honest

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.