how to ensure that I won't be rip off by garage when i visit one?

• Fred
    Favorite Answer

In many cases the small private mechanic is more trustable and cheaper as his business is got through recommendations of satisfied customers. Big mechanical businesses tend to charge more as they employ mechanics having to pay for their holidays and other costs as well as they pay for expensive advertising to attract customers.

Ask friends who there mechanic is and are they satisfied with the work and cost. I have been ripped off by a car dealership who did not do good work and charged top dollar for their work, and one mechanic who I was worried was spinning me a false story that the car needed its welsh plugs replaced in the motor knowing I wasn't able to come there and have a look myself. I had heard of others who felt he was doing work that was not needed.

Watch out for the free brake and exhaust check companies as they quite often put your car up on the hoist then tell you lies about what needs replacing and some will blackmail you into paying for work you do not need and refuse allowing you to have the car back until the work is done claiming they are not allowed to allow you to drive away in an unsafe car.

Ask male car owners where they get their cars serviced and repaired as they are less likely to be cheated as mechanics assume guys know more about cars and they are more likely to be caught out by a guy if they cheat them.

Brick & mortar establishments have a reputation they have to maintain, and always being referred to as a good garage comes from satisfied customers telling their friends. This is how the shop EARNS BUSINESS. If it was a lousy shop then he would have no customers and no shop can afford to operate at a loss for long.

. If his shop is buzzing with many cars waiting for service, then obviously his name has gotten around....which is much better than the guy who has NO CUSTOMERS. Business is dead.

You actually WANT to stand in a line up.

It won't be for long. As not everyone has a difficult problem and the shop on average has 4 mechanics working on various vehicles at the same time. So, you won't have to wait long.

You can walk up to the shop and describe your problem.eg(loud exhaust, bad brakes, overheating, electrical problem, steering problem,etc. for the mechanics sometimes JUMP the order because yours is a FAST FIX. They get paid by the number of vehicles that get repaired....or may tell you "We don't do that type of work" but we know of a good shop who does do it and refer you to go there. So you don't just sit in line for nothing. A good shop knows what they can do and what they can't do quickly. You are looking for speed as well as a good job done. So are they. That keeps their reputation in the GOOD for longer.

• Dave

Make sure you have an estimate before they start any work. If I have some expensive part replaced I always tell the shop I want them to keep all parts and show me after the repair what they replaced and why, then match it to the invoice.

Take Big Mike with you to mean mug the mechanic and call him on his jive. Better to check the reviews customers give at shops you plan on trying out.

Start by asking friends and family if they can recommend anyone reliable and reasonable.

Get multiple quotes before you shell out a bunch of money for repairs.

You get no guarantees anywhere.

• JetDoc

Why are you taking the car to a garage in the first place? Did you ask for an estimate for the costs? If you don't like what you hear, then you don't have to give your permission for them to do the work.

Get references. How long have they been in business? Go to their web site or Google them and see the ratings their customers have given them.

• olivia

Visiting a garage if your car needs to be repaired can be a baffling and costly ... mechanic: Five essential tips to ensure you don't get ripped off at the garage ... 1. Make sure that all work and parts are guaranteed for one year

Find one run by a human that you can trust. Honest mechanics are hard to find but there are some out there. It helps to have a friend of a friend who can refer you to one of the few remaining ones.