Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 months ago

Writers: what do you do when you have writer's block?

I agree with Amber and u bin called. Their advice was good and what I was going to say so.

• Amber

I wont tell you writers block doesn't exist because that doesn't help you in anyway and it obviously does exist because it's experienced by just about every writer. It's simply a term for a mental block in writing. To solve writer's block you need to find out what is causing it in the first place. And it could be just so many things. It could just be that you've run out of ideas for a certain point in your story and what you need is inspiration. That will come with patience.

It could be that you've immersed yourself in your book so much that you've gotten sick of it and just need a short break.

It could be something outside your book, like a problem that's playing on your mind.

Some people solve it by pushing through it and to keep writing until something snaps, even if it means writing a scene or chapter several times. Others, like myself, find it easier to take a step back and figure out what's caused it. And it's often a lack of planning.

Hope this helps

People these days have a Reader's Block.

It's not a popular opinion, but I don't believe writer's block exists any more than lawyer's block or chef's block.

Sometimes it's hard--really hard!-- or I haven't done enough research, or I hate the way a scene is going, or I've lost the whole point of a chapter, or I realize this is utter drek, but I can always write.

The big secret is that I have permission to write crap. Thousands of words of crap can be edited, revised, rewritten. That blank page from someone who expects their words to be minimally decent stays blank.

A lot depends on the kind of "block."

If it's more "writer's fatigue" I step away from the task or project at hand and try to stimulate other parts of the brain...I listen to music, go see an art exhibit, read a subject different from my current writing topic, etc. I avoid things like playing video games or watching TV as I find those things more mind numbing than stimulating.

If it's that crippling block that makes you feel dread and anxiety while hunched over a blank page, I normally take a full break for a day or two and then try to reset my brain.

Start gently, maybe a letter to a friend about what's going on in your life and how you're dealing with writer's block. Try some journaling exercises aimed at getting back in touch with yourself. This will not only help encourage the self-awareness and honesty required in good writing, but could also uncover other issues in your life that could be contributing to your current block.

Many, many solutions! Start speaking, say anything. Say anything else. Write some of it down. Say anything, say anything else. Write some of it down. Review and edit. Turn the junk into something good by revising, changing, adding, deleting, altering. Make connections between one thing that's written down and another thing that's written down. Go back and forth between useless junk that you have to work hard to turn into something halfway decent, so-so writing, and brilliant flashes of insight. They're all ingredients. Mix and blend.

I take a mini-break from my WIP and do something else

I write through it even if it i not ok writing.

If I lay off, I loze motivation.

Source(s): *Excuze `z`...p.c. glitch ..I am `working through` it :)*
  • Mark

Have a good belt of vodka and take a hot shower.