Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

Can a family friend adopt my child with joint custody between him and I?

My daughters father has never really been in her life so a family friend stepped up and became a father figure. So I want to know if we can have joint custody of her even if me and this family friend aren't married.

• Foofa

You'd first have to officially strip the father of his paternity rights. Suggest you see a lawyer.

The answer is NO. Even if you were married, there would be no joint custody. stepparents have zero parental rights.

Could he adopt your child? Only if BOTH parents agreed to give up their parental rights.

Sure, assuming the biological father gave up his rights and signed off on the adoption.

• steve

Adoption and custody are legally different. In order for adoption the father would have to agree.

If you are only friends with this other man, then without the fathers consent it is unlikely he would be given joint custody.

In any case you would need to seek the fathers consent to put the child up for adoption or prove to a court he was an unfit parent. And I don't believe it is possible for you to remain the mother and have the child 'half' adopted by a third party.

They might then give you sole custody but if you are not in a relationship with the family friend it is unlikely they would be granted any guardianship or parental rights over the child.

That doesn't mean you can't allow them to continue to be a father figure it just means it is not legally enforceable if something happens in the future.

I don't think anyone here can answer such a complex question I think you need to speak to a lawyer.

If you are not in a long term relationship with Friend, both of you would have to agree to relinquish the child and friend would need to be approved as a suitable single parent. Depending on the age of the child, his views might be taken into consideration.

If you are in a long term stable live-in relationship and you are asking if Friend can adopt your child as just his father, then yes this might be possible. Birth father would need to agree to relinquish the child. Might be best to marry, that will streamline the process.

Once Friend is 'the' or 'a' legal parent, he gets custody automatically.

Adoption and joint custody are legally quite different. In some US states "any interested person" (basically, anyone who knows the child) can petition for custody. Other states are more restrictive. I'm guessing you live in Hawaii. But, sorry, I don't know the law there. Alaska, maybe? Rhode Island? Puerto Rico? The U.S. Virgin Islands? Guam? How many guesses do we get?

If you want legal advice speak to a lawyer.

No , either u have the custody of child or surrender it to some other . Joint custody is not permissible under the Law

• Exoplanet

Way wrong, dude. Check out Virginia.

Country's who's laws you're asking about? Or should we guess.