BEEN AWAY FOR A YEAR AND MY MOTORCYCLE HAS BEEN ALONE LITERALLY. WHAT SHOULD I CHECK FIRST AND WHAT TO DO AND WHAT NOT TO DO?

I live in the philippines and I have YAMAHA VEGA 2012

I know electrical and little bit on mechanical so throw me anything you think as necessary.

P.S

I live in a really far place and there is no servicing area near me so thats about it. Thanks

• Tim D
    Favorite Answer

Take out the spark plug, turn the engine over on the kickstart by hand, if it goes smoothly, then replace the spark plug with a new one.

Check that the air filter is clear (mice sometimes find the airbox is a cosy home). Check there is oil.

Charge the battery.

Check the tyres have pressure and are in good condition. Check the chain and clean and lube it (if it has a chain).

Check there is fuel, add some fresh fuel and switch the petcock to on.

Check the killswitch is on run.

Turn over the engine with the kickstart without switching the ignition on.

Now try to start it.

DO NOT ride it until you have checked that the brakes function.

• Road warrior

more likely bats in the Phillipines.

Turn Caps Lock, off.

Charge batt, check electrolyte, Remove plug, spray WD40 down cyl.

Fresh gas/oil. Check for spark while kicking--good one? Then replace plug. Unless you have new one handy.

Check brake action, oil chain, check slack. Do all maintenance like manual sez for first 800 miles.

if battery wont hold charge, Then, new one. A good Yuasa should last 4 years, sitting. Mine did while I was in ADC.

Battery will need replacing. That is about it. I had my bike stored under my veranda outside for 7 years with tank half full of gas. Started it and it ran a little smokey as it was a 2 stroke but just added fresh to the old and ran it out and no problems. Oil chain. Make sure there is oil in the crankcase...air in the tires. Go.

Battery and brakes. Crank a few times before full start (remove spark plug wires). Then just ride slowly.

It's a Yamaha so I would just charge the battery, fill it with fresh gas and try to start it as normal. See what happens and then take it from there. Service it when you get it running; lube anything that moves like chain and cables, change the oil and oil/air filters. The plug should be Ok but there's only one and a new one will help.

• Check the engine turns over, then replace the petrol and battery because that will certainly be dead and unchangeable. You should also replace the spark plugs then see if the engine will start.

This is a forlorn hope because petrol (gas) turns to jelly over time and will clog the carb jets so you will have to dismantle and clean the carb. It might be alright if it's fuel injection but could be harder to fix if the nosels are blocked with the aforementioned jelly.

• Road warrior

My Chevy, a Mexican battery lasted 4 years, sitting, I only changed it due to slow cranking, hot--heat soak of starter, not battery or charging system. In both cases, wisht I'd investigated further. The Batteries + battery for the Honda last One Year. Had to buy another $$ Yuasa.

Probably drain and add fresh fuel is always a good place to start if you did not drain it before you left or did not add stabilizer Check oil and a good once over .

• Road warrior

Di; I've had a Yuasa Sit 4 years on an Electric start Honda, just needed a charge. Cheap **** batteries, UR right. Not worth the powder to blow 'em to He--.