Ray asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Should you be able to explain grammar in sentences if you're fluent?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's not a requirement. Some people are fluent and cannot explain grammar (they just use it correctly), some can explain grammar but are not fluent

• 5 months ago

No, in order to learn grammar, you need to go to school. Same with writing. There are many illiterate people that are fluent in a language, including English. In fact, humans couldn't write and likely knew nothing about grammar rules when they invented languages.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Lots of people speak their native language fluently without ever having read a grammar book or knowing any of the terms therein.

• 5 months ago

Language fluency means you're able to communicate your thoughts properly with whatever language you use and it does not necessarily encompass grammar explanations; that's why sometimes you find people who have never opened a book but speak and write a hundred times better than people who claimed that did.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

In a perfect world, yes. Unfortunately, these days you'll hear English-speakers saying things like: Him and me went to the movies. Pathetic.

TD -- Oh, look at that. Some poor soul thinks "him and me went" is correct.

• 5 months ago

I'm not sure what you mean by 'should'. Ideally every native speaker of any language 'should' be able to explain every tiny feature of their language, but in fact very few can.

• 5 months ago

not necessarily

• 5 months ago

I am fluent in English (my native language). But I can not always explain grammar.

• Ray5 months agoReport

Do you think it's because you don't understand grammar that you're fluent in or what?

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No, unless you have qualifications on that language.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

For straightforward things, yes. I speak English fluently, but can't for instance tell someone why you can say "I am having a party" but not "I am having a car".

• M.
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Explain why you NEED to conjugate a verb,
      OR
      HOW to conjugate a verb???

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.