HOW LONG CAN A REFRIGERATOR COMPRESSOR RUN CONTINUOUSLY?

I have a bad thermostat and don't have the time to buy a new one so I'm thinking of shorting it so it runs while finding the time to buy new one.

So thats about it. I know its not recommended to do it this way but i just want to know how long can a compressor run continuously?

Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Hey Harvey, there is no way of knowing, but we once did that with a freezer in our metal shop, it ran for 4 years. Only reason was we needed metal samples at -30 degrees for testing, and the freezer stayed at -32 if it ran full out. I assume you are shorting the thermostat, not a fuse or breaker? If so don't worry about starting a fire. CK has a point above however, you would certainly freeze all the food in the refrigerator section within a day or so, and then probably have to throw it all out. If you're really in a jam and can't get a thermostat for a week or so, use a switch, and simply turn it on for an hour each morning, each night, and in the middle of the day if you can. You will at some point forget about it and either leave it on all day, or off all day, and you might end up tossing food in the trash anyway. Almost cheaper to buy a replacement fridge than replacement food if you ask me. Good luck.

• harvey john6 months agoReport

Yes I'm shorting the thermostat.
      Anyway thanks for the advice, gonna try the switch thingy.

• Tyler

they sell outet timers at some store. people frequently use them for Christmas lights. they allow you to set times for which the switch is active, and times that it is not. I have one that has pins around a clock face, 3 pins per hour. if you had a similar one, you could let your fridge work 20 minutes of ever hour so that it doesn't doo too much or get too cold

Weeks? Months? Years? Compressors are generally long lasting and reliable.

• elhigh

If you never let it turn off, it will freeze everything. Both sides, refrigerator and freezer.

If it constantly runs there is no control over the temperature, Everything would freeze including the refrigerator compartment and it would finally burn out.

what John said.

Or you could end up freezing all your food, have to throw some of it out. Or the compressor would give out and you would have to toss ALL your food.

Buy the thermostat

• John

Do that and your refrigerator could very well start a fire. Jumping a circuit breaker is never a good idea.