Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 7 months ago

Just a stupid car question?

So, i must've hit it before getting out of my car, but I left my one dome lights on for about 4-5 hours, then when I got back in my car i immediately turned it off will my battery one day just die from this? My car started completely fine and since then, haven't had a problem starting. My battery is about a year old now, not even..should I be worried? I know its a dumb question..i have really bad anxiety..

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Car battery are rechargeable. As soon as you started the car it recharged the battery and took it back up to full power. That electricity is not going to just "disappear" from your battery tomorrow or at some future date. If you had drained the battery it would not have started at that time.

Now, you may have shorted the life of your battery by a tiny amount. Most batteries are designed to last for five years. However any time you drain and recharge it does put a little more wear on the battery. Instead of lasting 5 years, it may only last 4 years. 354 days.

No, you have nor done any harm to your battery by leaving the dome light on.

• Hannah7 months agoReport

Thank you so much! I just have anxiety and with winter right around the corner and being in NYS I just like to make sure my car is working, thank you!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

just recharge it

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

The car started. You would have noticed right away as the starter would not turn the engine over.

I did the same as you and when I got out of the drunk tank and back to my car, the battery was dead. It was not a new battery, more like one that was 4 years old. So I needed a jump in the bar parking lot. Took the car home and put on the battery charger. Next day it was fully charged and I had another 2 years out of it. Then it was battery replacement time (as batteries last 60-72 months) That is $100ish. Bought at Wally's.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Not at all, it would take over twenty-four hours to drain the battery, and once you start the car the battery is being recharged. f you drive for 45 minutes the battery should be fully recharged.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

The battery will recharge and be fine.

• 7 months ago

It's fine.

The next time you drove it, the alternator charged the battery again.

• 7 months ago

Anxiety? Sounds like you need your head examined!

• Hannah6 months agoReport

excuse me? Sorry I went to school to be an EMT and not a mechanic.. I have car questions because I don't know anything about them. So thank you.

• 7 months ago

check the battery terminals. for tightness

• 7 months ago

No, a dome light might take a day to drain a car battery. Any drain on yours has been compensated by your alternator after driving the car.

• 7 months ago

Don't worry about it. If your car started, it's fine. Even if you had completely discharged the battery, if you jump it and run it for awhile, it will be okay. Your battery should last three or four years in any case, so you should be fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.