We have bought a sideboard and it stinks of cat pee, how do I get rid of it?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Cat's do not lift up a leg and pee on the wall. Cats squat. So it is dog pee.

If the board is a composite board then that may be the smell of the components used to make the board. Some new car plastics smell like pee.

All you can do is paint it on both sides...and seal the smell behind a layer of plastic which is what paint is.

. If you had workers working there and you did not have easy access to a bathroom, then there is a good chance it is worker's pee on the wall...in the corner. Plant peppermint plants there and that should hide the smell.

• Login to reply the answers
  • In
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I have never successfully gotten all of the smell out, so take it outside and burn it or leave it inside and burn it. If you take it outside you will have to buy a new one, and if you leave it inside the insurance company will buy you a new one, assuming you are not in jail for arson.

• 6 months ago

throw it away, buy a new one

• 6 months ago

Put the cat in the bath tub and wash.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Nature's Miracle is good but not sure if the smell isn't actually from a male cat "marking" or spraying their territory (smells like really strong cat pee). Nature's Miracle might work on that...?

• Laura
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Either plan to spend a ton of money on repainting it or just toss it out and get a new one.

Sand the entire thing, then use a super strong primer. I recommend going to Lowes or Home Depot and talking with them about what primers you should use. Something super strong meant for bathrooms to kill mold might work. Might. The ammonia in cat pee is super strong, and once its dry it doesn't go away, so you have to use the primer to essentially hold all of the toxins and smell in.

You will need to fully sand the entire thing, inside and out, then use the primer. I would sand between layers of primer and do a few good coats to be sure it stays inside. Before you paint over it let the primer sit for a while so you can be sure that the smell isn't there anymore. It would suck to have to redo the entire thing because you didn't add enough layers of primer.

Or, like I said just get a new one. Cat pee is almost impossible to get rid of once it dries. On a porous surface, like wood, you can't get rid of it, all you can do is hope that the primer holds it all in.

If you have a cat, throw it out. Even through all of this your cat will still be able to tell that the old cat pee is there, and will start to pee on it to cover up the old cat pee smell and put theirs on top. Its a dominance thing, and not something you can really control or prevent, other than just not bring the cat pee covered furniture into your home.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Very difficult, i would throw it out, the smell willl always be there.

• 6 months ago

Nature's Miracle...sold in most pet shops and amazon--the stuff is awesome.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.