My computer's stopped working.?

I was playing a game on my desktop PC last night and suddenly it crashed and shut down and I haven't been able to turn it on again since. Nothing works, no fans, no lights, etc. A couple of days prior the power cut out and the same thing happened, but was able to get it working again as soon as the power was restored.

I'm guessing something internal has been damage and am asking what it could be and what options do I have to get it fixed?

I've only had this computer for a bit over a year (new, built 2018) and am still new to this kind of PC as I've only owned Mac laptops prior.

• Dave
    Favorite Answer

It could be quite a few things. Is it plugged into a surge protector? Did the surge protector "trip" and need to be reset? Have you plugged it directly into the wall socket for power? Does another device work plugged into the same power? Once you've confirmed that power isn't the issue outside of the computer, start looking at power inside the computer. Buy yourself a PSU tester. Fairly cheap and will come in real handy down the years. If the PSU tests good, then start checking all your power connections inside the PC, make sure one hasn't been jarred or is loose. If everything is connected good, then you know you have other hardware issues. Start looking at the motherboard, and it's capacitors. Are any of them blown? Bulged? Scorched?

To get the fastest repair of your computer, take it to a local computer repair shop for a checkup of the problem. They'll get it running or repair parts that could be defective and have equipment to speed the repair time. It will cost you some money, but the computer should be operating more quickly and should be running correctly upon its return.

Check the SMPS. SMPS actually supplies power to every part of the computer. Some time SMPS do not work properly and this happens because of un-even current flow. SMPS are not very expensive and you can easily get it bellow $20.

Hi, Try testing the power supply firstly. See if a connected fan does spin.

• Andy T

Desktops have more considerations to a laptop, my guess is you underestimate the PSU requirement and blew it, assuming this did not sparkle down and kill other component, replace it and keep going.

there are plenty of things to check, firstly check the RAM is it still okay or not because I faced such problems too and in my case the RAM was damaged which never let the system run so take out the RAM and then start it if it consumes power that means the system is all okay and RAM is damage but if not so then might be supply could be damaged.

• olivia

Start with the simplest. Does the socket, outlet or whatever you call it work with something else plugged in? Is there a fuse in the plug? Has that blown?

If it was power outage and computer was not plugged into surge protected circuit the spike could kill motherboard or Power Supply unit

Unplug the computer open the case and remove the RAM chips put them back in and see if your computer will start back up. if your computer starts up you're going to know that you're either downloading some malicious code which is getting stuck in the RAM chips or you have some bad RAM chips which is unlikely after a year. If that doesn't help you you're going to have to take the computer to a shop it may be the power supply has gone bad or it just may be a crappy computer and the motherboard is shot.

• Dave

LOL. Nothing in this answer is remotely accurate