Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 months ago

Should the Google monopoly be broken up?

Favorite Answer

Google needs to be completely broken down. Take that intense

power out of their hands.

Or, government should stop interfering in American businesses. The free market will sort it out. China has their own version of amazon for the competition.

Google is not a monopoly though. I use duckduckgo.com. There's a dozen other search engines. Google is simply BETTER than it's competitors. And it's free, so how can you argue that it's dominant market position (which is large but not exclusive) harms consumers? Advertisers certainly are harmed, and I have privacy concerns with Google's leveraging of data (as I do with facebook and others), but I don't see the monopoly claim. I just see a company out-competing it's competitors.

Something should be done. A communications venue like this and with this much power to silence entire ideologies is very, very dangerous.

Of course. Google is much bigger than AT&T was when it was broken up and AT&T was not involved in sensorship

we can go back to Ask Jeeves