Having woord floors refinished, any thought between Water vs Oil base coating?

• chris

I would use the oil base!

I redid my house with water base, it was great at first because I did a one week job in two days! it also looked great when it was finished. Since then, because of my dog and kids, I got multiple black water stains because water spills had soaked through the finish. I ended up covering most of it in the end and will never do it again.

Oil Based floor finishing products, yes. Oil based products seep into the wood. Water based products just coat the wood and will wear off sooner than later.

Oil based products last a whole helluva lot longer, so you may as well do it right the first time because regardless of which finishing products you use, it is the same amount of labor.

Oil does take longer to dry, but anything worth having is worth waiting for.

Have used both, oil base gives you a better, superior finish, in my opinion.

The oil-based coating has an advantage oil will get down between the wood where it joins to the other wood and an oil-based coating will get down into the nail hole and it may prevent a lot of creaking in the future. Furthermore you can always add more oil finish over the years to keep up the appearance. The water-based finish is something like Elmer's white glue once it dries the wood is sealed and it won't take any more finish you can always put additional finish on top of it to make it look better but it doesn't go down into the grain of the wood down into the nail holes and down between the individual pieces of wood and it won't do a thing to keep your floor from creaking if I was going to make a choice of which I wanted I would go with the oil-based finish even though it's more expensive.

• elhigh

Oil based polyurethane cures up a bit tougher but may have a strong odor while it's curing, and is likely to change colors a bit, becoming kind of amber with time. Water based is cheaper and will dry much quicker; you can usually apply a couple of coats in a single day with water based.

Water-based coatings vs. solvent-based coatings. Coatings frequently take their name from the binder, or resin, from which they're made. Epoxies, alkyds

The water base is for sure better. bona traffic HD, it goes on thick resulting in fewer scratches. With oils, you get more of a colorant/amber coloring while the water base stays closer to the true wood coloring.

Water based dries a lot faster and generally dries clear but is not as durable.Oil based generally takes a few days to dry and is more durable but tends to yellow over time.if you put a throw rug over either surface it will stay the original color as the rest of the floor gradually fades so you will see the difference after a couple years.Personally i would use oil based on a floor.

There are a lot of factors to consider. I have found an article that will help you by revealing the things you should consider.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/floor/water-based-v...

Speed of drying - oil takes longer.

I am biased in favor of oil, but water based is much better these days and more user friendly.