What does it mean if a play or movie receives mixed reviews from both critics and audiences?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Best Answer

I often think it means nothing.

many critics savaged Batman vs. Superman, but they really didn't even understand what was going on, or apparently had seen the previous Zod movie, so of course it didn't make much sense to them.

Plus all the weird dream sequences.........it was too much for their puny brains to process correctly.

Same with Les Miserables.......savaged by most critics, who all lamented the poor singing......

totally missing the POINT, that the director SPECIFICALLY did NOT want singers to stand there and belt out songs.........he wanted *Actors* to ACT out the songs, ----assssssss they sang.

The ACTING the song, was what he was going for.........and they did it quite well.

Hell, Hathaway won an Oscar for it.

But all the critics cried about was Russell Crowe's off key singing......totally missing the POINT of the film.

The director could have easily hired the BEST voices on Broadway, if that's what he wanted- ....but what he wanted was big name ACTORS to ACT out the songs.

• Mark
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

Simply that some people loved it, and some didn't.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Sometimes the "professional critics" will give raving reviews, while the general audience is more in agreement with a product feeling lackluster. Perhaps they are looking for different things, when they go to the movies. Personally, I don't care how great the cinematography is, if the storyline is garbage.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It is enigmatic. Probably good.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

What do you think it means, just bait or half both the critics and audiences love or hat the play or movie, where lead say some audiences loe it, and others hate, the same for critics as well. While a lot of movie critics will agree with each other, but not always. Like I am seeing from Rotten Tomatoes, Michale, Philips from the Chicago Triune that you might also remember being on Ebert & Roeper and later at the movies gave The Lion King a bad review, and Richard Roeper giving the Lion King a good review.

• 4 months ago

it means the reviews is mixed.

• marty
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I'd listen to audience reviews more than a critic. Critics can be bought off or give friends a break. Audience members usually tell the truth, in their opinion of course, no matter who it helps or hurts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.