Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 months ago

Is it stupid to ask if they sell books at a book launch? I just did that via email. I've never been to a book launch before - so I asked.?

Update:

EDIT: I guess I am stupid then.

Update 2:

EDIT1:I wanna go die in a hole now.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Your question was not 'stupid'. Yes, usually books are sold at the event to launch them. But, as some answers have told you, it does sometimes happen that the book being launched isn't actually available at the time. Unusual, but it does happen. In that case you place an order while you're there.

Nobody there will know or care about your question. Enjoy the event.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Joe
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I do that stuff a lot just as a goof. I'll walk into a chocolate confectionary store, the girl will ask if she can help me find something. I'll look around and say, do you guys sell any chocolate here..? I'll do the same in a bookstore, anyplace where it's obvious. Most of the time she will get the joke, look around herself and say, I'm not sure. We might have something leftover in the back. And we'll both laugh. Once in a while the clerk will be in no mood or just not get it, but that's ok. I'm used to it. I like to bring a smile to someone's face once in a while. weird, right ??

• 6 months ago

They give them away for free at a book launch.

• Tina
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, it wasn't stupid at all. The really stupid thing would have been *not* to ask.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Who cares? You sent an email - no one is going to know who you are and, seriously, no one is going to care. This is not the level of embarrassing moment that people will talk about for years ;)

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

The book launch is a "ceremony", an "event", to make official that the book is out. They could just take the book out of a van and put it in a shelf, but then nobody would notice "something is happening". So yes, I think it is embedded in the event, if you're promoting a book for people to notice it, you would be a bad promoter if, after people notice it, you didn't give them access to it.

That said, I don't think your question was silly. There are many ways of doing things in this vast world of ours, and if I was in charge of that book promotion, I would just be flattered by your interest and happy of being of service :)

• 7 months ago

Yes, they do sell books at a book launch. That is the whole purpose of having the launch - to sell you the books. What makes it special is that rather then just buying the book, you also get to meet the author (usually for 30 seconds or less) and get an autograph on the book you just purchased.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It's very naive.

A launch is a big sales push at the start of a sales campaign. So obviously they'd be selling copies of the book in question.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There's no set formula for a book launch, the particulars of the procedure can vary from one to the other, but it's essentially a guarantee that copies of the book will be available for purchase.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

I think they pretty much just load the books into a cannon and launch them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.