k. asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

How do I write these in MLA format?

My English teacher is having us read books over the summer, and then answer journal questions about said books. We were taught to do all writing in MLA format, but I'm unsure of how to do it in this case. Do I type out each question in her exact words, or is that plagiarism? Or, do I not say the question, and just answer it? I would still technically be stating it then, but I don't know if that counts.

Set out the question as she asked it. Then answer it.

Plagiarism is passing others work off as your own.

There is no danger of doing that in this instance.

• Andrew

There are a few different style guides as the particulars of the system have changed over time. You can find one in the reference section of any library and they're widely available in bookshops and are sold online. Procure a copy or avail yourself of one so that you can familiarise yourself with the specifics. When quoting from different types of texts, different guidelines come into play. I don't want to tell you to do it one way when your teacher is expecting it to be handed it another way.