Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

Would I be able to get my money back from a down payment on a trailer and first month's rent?

I was going to rent a trailer then something came up so I had to change my mind. I never moved stuff in nor did I have the lights cut on but i did give them the DP and first month's. Do you think I will be able to get a refund? I have the receipts and both keys.

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

Maybe. I once did that and the day of the move I changed my mind because it didn't feel like a safe place to live. I told the landlord he could keep the security deposit to cover the period of time he wasn't advertising the place to rent and so he returned to me the first month's rent.

• R P

You are definitely not entitled to the rent money back.

If your receipt calls the other money a "deposit," yes, you should get that back since that money is held in case you do damage. If you didn't' move in, you couldn't have caused any damage. However, if your receipt calls that money a "holding fee," you won't get it back either. Fees are non-refundable.

Source(s): FL landlord
  • Judy

nope..................

the landlord could, but doesn't have to refund all the money. It sounds like you did not sign a lease, so it defaults to state law. Typically you have to give 1 month notice that you will not be moving in. At this point you would need to pay for all of August.

what down payment? do you mean a security deposit? when were you supposed to move it? anything you paid above rent for August could be returned..although LL would be within his rights to use a deposit to pay for utilities you were supposed to turn on,

They might be nice and give you something back...but they are under no obligation to do so whatsoever...

• Maxi

No, there is no chance at all and while you hold onto the keys and don't give the required notice to leave you are still renting........ if you signed a contract you are legally obligated to pay each months rent until end of contract unless it has an early termination clause and if you didn't sign a contract, then you are month to month ( as you paid a months rent) in which case you have to pay rent and give one months notice

No. By taking the keys you took legal possession of the property preventing the landlord from renting to anyone else. Whether or not you chose to use the property is inconsequential to the landlord (i.e. he should not have to suffer the loss of income).

In addition by paying the first months you have entered into a rental agreement, even if you never signed a lease. State law recognizes these types of agreements and usually requires the recognized tenant to give the landlord notice of the same duration they pay rent (a month, in your case) of the plan to no longer rent the property in WRITING. And you will be expected to pay rent for that month too, regardless of whether you signed a contract. It's possible your landlord won't require you to pay the extra month if you return the keys immediately (turning possession back to the landlord).

Not likely to get a refund, no.

Highly unlikely, because now they will have to try to re-lease the property. Your DP and first month's rent will be kept to defray the costs of having an empty trailer until they find a tenant.

Did you sign anything?

• DEBS

Not sure why that matters. It's clear they had an agreement and even if it was month to month he's still on the hook for that first month (and maybe another one if it's too late for 30 day notice.)

• DEBS

If you signed a lease they can hold you to it. You'd have to read what it says and/or what your state laws say about breaking a lease. It's likely you're on the hook for at least one month's rent and possibly more. They likely turned someone else down when you signed the agreement. No reason why they'd take a loss because you changed your mind.