Spyro asked in SportsWrestling · 1 year ago

On a scale 0 to 10, how would you rate Sho, from NJPW?

Strength-

Speed-

Agility-

Aerial-

Stamina-

Striking-

Technical Ability-

Match-Quality-

Toughness-

Tag-Team-

Psychology-

Selling-

• Candle
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Strength- 7: I feel like I've seen him do a powerbomb and a few deadlift and guntwrench moves. He's still a junior heavyweight, but his hits have power behind them and he's not afraid to lift a guy.

Speed- 6: I don't think of him as a fast guy, but he's got pep in his step. He's kind of in the midst of purging that RPG 3K junior moveset, so I'll say 6.

Agility- 4: I don't think of him as an agile guy and can't recall him ever doing any high flying or balance reliant offense. He's hit a hurricanrana before, but I doubt you'll see that out of him these days since he's bulking up.

Aerial- 4: More or less what I said about agility. I don't think I've ever seen him go off of the top rope. I think he's hit a dive to the outside a few times, but nothing awe inspiring or overly memorable, especially as a singles star.

Stamina- 8: He went the distance against Shingo Takagi in the opening of BOSJ. He seemed spent afterward, but it was a hard hitting match that made many question the trivial weight divisions in New Japan. He's also predominantly a tag guy, but he seems to be able to hold his air.

Striking- 8. He hits hard and hits fast, but there's nothing prolific or innovative about his strikes.

Technical Ability- 7: He knows quite a few submission holds, but I don't know if he's ever won with any of them or christened any as finishers. And, again, there's nothing new in what he does as a submission wrestler. He's got the form down and the diversity in his holds, all he needs is the function and the innovation. He's young, so there's time.

Match-Quality- 7 or 8. As a tandem, RPG 3K had a rocky young lion start as the Tempura Boys on excursion, but found their footing as a tandem relatively quickly once Rocky Romero took over as manager. I can easily say they're a highlight on any show as a tandem for me, and got some of the best matches out of the Young Bucks. As a singles Sho's delivered. I'm not a huge fan, but I don't hate his work. He's critically regarded as the breakout of the tag team, and even pegged as a future Ace of New Japan by many pundits. Considering his looks and style, I can't say that I don't see it. I do feel the rush to break up the tandem, and also an undeserved readiness to bury Yoh as a meager Junior Heavyweight bound singles once the tandem splits. I kind of hope Gedo runs the clock out on these two as a tag team instead of buckling to his urge to push everything over the tag divisions. He's a slow cook booker, but again, he doesn't seem to have any passion for the lower card. Maybe that shouldn't reflect poorly on my score on Sho, but it kind of does. I don't think he's ready. He's got all of the tools, but I think he still needs fine tuning. Keep RPG 3K together for a little while longer before shoving Yoh through the barbershop window at least...

Toughness- 8: I once again defer to the Shingo Takagi match, because if Sho is ready and has a breakout performance in him, that was the one. He took big hits, he nearly went broadway, but in the end he lost so I have to knock off points for his body's inevitable relent to the Last Dragon's offense. He has fighting spirit, but he needs a little more callous.

Tag-Team- 9: Again, ignoring the Tempura Boys run, 3K has been a highlight on the New Japan undercard. At least for me it has been. They're well decorated as a tandem and pull out some of the biggest dark horse performances on whatever top heavy New Japan card they're on.

Psychology- 7: I'm harsh on "fighting spirit", but as far as puro psychology goes, Sho's got it.

Selling- 8: Again, I defer to my somewhat bias against 'fighting spirit', but even with that said, I think Sho does a good job of selling offense. I hate to keep drawing from the same well over and over again, but in his bout against Shingo he showed perseverance while also not neglecting to show the wear and tear was overcoming with 'fighting spirit'. He didn't come off to me as a guy who was no-selling just to no-sell. He seemed like a young man taking all of Shingo's offense, feeling it, and still standing up to him and trying to keep up a tough warrior's demeanor. After the match ended he physically and emotionally collapsed in his loss, and I felt his frustration in losing. That's good salesmanship.

• Spyro1 year agoReport

Awesome answer! You notice about everything, and even remember their movesets. It's incredible how you notice little things, and not just the big things when it comes to psychology, selling, and other attributes. I don't think overthinking is a bad trait either.