Does this sound like sleep apnea?

i know self-diagnosing and looking for answers on the internet is bad, but i’ve been getting worried. so for the past 3 years or so, i’ve had an issue that kinda comes and goes every few months where i stop breathing in my sleep, and i wake up gasping for air. happens a few times a night, a few times a week. then,... show more i know self-diagnosing and looking for answers on the internet is bad, but i’ve been getting worried.
so for the past 3 years or so, i’ve had an issue that kinda comes and goes every few months where i stop breathing in my sleep, and i wake up gasping for air. happens a few times a night, a few times a week. then, it’ll abruptly stop happening... and return a few months later. it’s not a 365/year thing, that’s what makes me not sure what it is.
also, i don’t snore at all (i have confirmation). for what it’s worth, i’m not overweight at all... im 18 years old, female, 5’2 and 103 pounds. these abrupt pauses in breathing really freak me out... they get my adrenaline pumping, and i can never get back to sleep (mostly out of fear of it happening again). i’m off to college next month, and i’m terrified that whatever this is, it will get worse when i’m in an unfamiliar situation. does this sound like sleep apnea? i haven’t asked my doctor, because the only symptom i have is the fact that i stop breathing & feel tired in the day, but that’s 2 symptoms, not enough to go to a doctor about. any guess as to what’s happening?
btw - it’s not college anxiety. it’s been happening for 3 years - since i was a high school’s sophomore, when college barely crossed my mind.
1 answer 1