In World War II was there no ground fighting for US troops in Europe at all until D-Day? Was the US fighting Europe at all before that?

When D-Day came was it the first ground action US forces saw in Europe in World War II? Also was the US fighting in Europe at all before D-Day or was it all in Asia before that? I know they declared war on Germany in 1941 but did they not starting fighting until 1944? I know Japan we started right away in 1941. I... show more When D-Day came was it the first ground action US forces saw in Europe in World War II? Also was the US fighting in Europe at all before D-Day or was it all in Asia before that? I know they declared war on Germany in 1941 but did they not starting fighting until 1944? I know Japan we started right away in 1941.

I heard that D-Day opened the Western Theatre of World War II to the USA which made me think there was no ground action and maybe no US military action at all before that. Thought maybe the declaration was just a symbolic thing in 1941.