Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 months ago

In World War II was there no ground fighting for US troops in Europe at all until D-Day? Was the US fighting Europe at all before that?

When D-Day came was it the first ground action US forces saw in Europe in World War II? Also was the US fighting in Europe at all before D-Day or was it all in Asia before that? I know they declared war on Germany in 1941 but did they not starting fighting until 1944? I know Japan we started right away in 1941.

I heard that D-Day opened the Western Theatre of World War II to the USA which made me think there was no ground action and maybe no US military action at all before that. Thought maybe the declaration was just a symbolic thing in 1941.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Bret
    Lv 6
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There was ground fighting for nearly two years prior to D-Day for US forces - see Operation Torch and subsequent operations like Husky and Avalanche. Another thing that might be remarkable to you is that GIs first ground contact with the enemy was not with Germans, but with the Vichy French in North Africa. After that, the allies invaded Sicily and then Italy, which turned out not be be as "soft" as they thought and would hold out until the end of the war due to excellent defensive terrain.

• ...Show all comments
    • Bret
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

Got one little thing wrong regarding the enormous invasion of 50 U.S. soldiers a few months before Operation Torch and the answer is "piss-poor." Says the guy who has been wrong in the majority of responses to my answers over the years.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

the Americans followed the 8 th army all the way up Italy lost many men destroying a Monastery

• 6 months ago

Well....yes, there were US troops in Europe before the invasion of Normandy.

Italy and Sicily are both considered part of Europe, after all, and both were invaded by the Anglo-American forces prior to Normandy. here were also a small handful of US troops involved at Dieppe, for example, and there were US OSS operatives in France and elsewhere in Europe well ahead of the Normandy invasion.

• Joseph
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The US and British troops landed on the Italian island of Sicily on July 10, 1943, eleven months before Normandy landings. After capturing Sicily the allies, including the US 5th Army, invaded the mainland Italy landing at Salerno September 1943 and at Anzio in January 1944.

• ...Show all comments
    • Joseph
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

The question was specifically about US troops fighting in Europe, not Canadian troops, though there were many Americans who joined the Canadian Forces before the US got involved in the war.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

That is not correct. There were several operations against the Italians and Germans including the destruction of the Abbey at Monte Cassino as the Allies pressed on to Rome.

• Ted K
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Last I heard, Sicily and Italy were both part of Europe.

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

There were 50 US Rangers at the Dieppe Raid in August 1942.

Six killed, seven wounded and four captured.

• Fuhr
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I guess you've never heard of Italy. The schools and genetics have failed us, once again.

• TB12
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I'm guessing you've never heard of the North African campaign,,, or the Italian campaign,,,

What are they teaching in schools these days.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.