Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Should I pay off my debt before I go to grad school?

After I graduate, I will be about 30-40k in debt. Should I pay it off before applying to grad school? I don't need to be in more debt than that.

• juliet

I’m currently in the same boat, still trying to decide. I’m leaning on finding a happy medium by taking 6-12months off to pay off a good amount, and then return. But I’m still not sure.

If your graduate degree will guarantee you a high paying job, then it might be worth deferring your undergrad loans, then just tackling grad school, then paying off everything later. However, not all lone can be deferred, and your ability to defer may depend on full time or part time status. Look into that. But otherwise, or if it gives you a lot of anxiety, maybe either pay off all your loans ASAP (save up NOW, have a job lined up ASAP, live with your parents, work a little more, etc) or at least pay a portion of your loans(maybe about 25%) before going back.

I agree with Pat that tuition/loans in this country, for this generation is outrageous, unfair, and cruel. Please, vote and get all your friends to vote next June for the primaries. We need candidates that want to fix this (aka, NOT republicans)

• Pat

That depends on how good of a job you can get and how quickly you can pay it off. On the one hand I salute you for wanting to be fiscally responsible and get rid of your debts. OTOH, if you don't go back to grad school will you drift away from the desire to do so? These are things you need to think about and decide.

In the meantime, I hope that come next November you are actively knocking on doors for the party of your choice and that you vote in the primary for a candidate who wants to tackle the immense school debts that unfairly saddle your generation. Back when my sisters and I went to college, if you went to a state college in your own state it was pretty reasonable, and many students worked their way through school with minimum wage jobs. Many more parents could afford it. There is no reason that can't be the reality again. What's being done to your generation in regard to school debts is criminal, and it needs to stop.

• juliet

I love and fully agree with this answer

• Sandy

if you get a job that has tuition reimbursement, then go.