Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 months ago

How would you react if your teenage daughter skipped school because of bullying?

Change a school. I have seen people do it. It works.

Talk to her calmly. Don't do actions that can embarass your daughter. Show her that you are on her side. Help her build her confidence and to be strong. Never blame her, or make her feel like it's her fault why she's being bullied. Lastly, transfer your daughter to a better school.

• Jane

Your daughter should not have to miss out on her education because of bullies, however it's understandable that it's causing her to want to stay away out of fear.

I have had exactly this situation with my daughter, I set up a meeting with her her teacher and Head Teacher to decide how to handle it. She was being bullied online (death threats) via school email network, so they were pretty stupid as it was easy to identify them and see proof of what they had said. They also managed to isolate her during breaks, lunch period and when she went to the bathroom. We arranged for her to volunteer in the school library at these times, so she was never alone and could make friends in a safe, supervised environment. After a while she recovered her confidence and was able to move on.

The school is responsible for making sure children are safe while at school, and they should also have written policies about safeguarding and bullying- ask to see these policies and quote them if they don't respond quickly and positively.

Finally, you have to be super-patient, kind and encouraging with her, she might lash out at you or get very withdrawn as an emotional reaction.

First of all, I would NOT punish her for skipping school as that is just insult to injury.

I would ask my daughter the details of what was happening to see the depth and severity of the bullying.

Then, I would call the school and set up an emergency meeting with the principal, the school psychologist, and the administrator. During the meeting, I would put a tape recorder on the desk to record the meeting. I would have my daughter name her bullies and recite the experiences, her feelings and how it effects her. Then I would tell the authorities there that if they do not take this seriously or devise a plan to stop this nonsense, I am taking this tape to the local nightly news to have it broadcasted that XYZ School does not take bullying seriously.

You screw with my kid, you screw with me.

That she needs to toughen up and tell somebody or do something about it.. someone hits her, she can hit them back.. the worlds not a fair or nice place.. might as well toughen up and get used to it.

• art

I would probably go to the bullys houses and beat up their parents

• Shadow Lady

Sometimes, the parents of bullies have no idea what their kids have been doing. They should be given a chance to make things right.

I would be mad. If she had such a problem she should have brought it to my attention, not make the decision to break the rules. Two wrongs don't make a right.

• linkus86

Jessica you are obviously a child yourself to not understand that a parent wants to help their kids solve their problems. Not going to school solves nothing and only serves to make the child get behind on their school work.

I will try to uderstand the situation. Still can catch the missed at school later.

• Foofa

I'd be angry that she didn't tell me so I could go in and handle it with the school.

Sounds like you need to go to the school and talk to someone, she doesn't have to know you are going.