Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

Can my boss make me work for under minumum wage?

So I do get paid minimum wage for my actual shifts, however twice a week i need to cover a shift that only pays £4 an hour, I only recently started saying no and i overheard my boss say that he is going to fire me if i refuse to cover another shift

In USA supervisors (salaried employees) can be made to work for 10cents an hour as long as overall in the pay period they average at least the minimum wage.

• Maxi

Your employer is breaching the law, there is no "£4 an hour shift" the employer has to legally pay you minimum wage according to your age 2019 over 25y £7.83 21-24yrs £7.38 18-20 yrs £5.90 under 18 £4.20 Apprentice £3.70....... the employer needs reporting for breaching the law

You said pounds, so, I'm out, but in america it would absolutely be illegal to pay someone less than kinimum wage. If you get tips and your wages and tips fall below minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference as well.

He is doing something illegal then. If you want to keep your job, tell him you can not work for below minimum wage. If he does fire you for this reason, you have every right to contact complain to the proper authorities. Frankly, I think you should start looking for another job.

"a shift that only pays £4 an hour" It is illegal for anything to pay £4 an hour.

Your boss can't make you work for less than minimum wage. If you refuse and are fired, you will have been fired contrary to law.

• ?

Legally, no, but some employers will happily exploit any gray areas, like making you "cover" a shift that pays a lower rate, instead of just assigning you that shift, which would require them to pay you more