Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCommunity Service · 7 months ago

Am I write to feel violated... or am I being dramatic?

I work as a volunteer in a charity organisation which provides advice on social issues. I saw a man who I helped and did a lot for. When he left he gave me a squeezed hug and I moved away a bit, and he continued going forward and kissed me on the cheek. I froze and just laughed but I feel disgusting? Am I right to feel that way or am I being dramatic

No, but you should look into sensitivity training to help you deal with those you work with. As a professional my self we are told never allow clients to touch or hold you or vise Versa. It is just not ethical procedure.

• Janet

Your emotions are always valid. In fact, one of the first things you learn taking university psychology, is that emotions are neither right nor wrong. but choices and actions can be right or wrong.

What may or may not be valid is your ACTIONS.

You have an emotional, moral, legal and unalienable right to choose whether or not others can touch you.

But what others do should not change how you feel about yourself.

As for this man, many people grow up in families where you hug and/or kiss on the cheek. This is normal to them. So the challenge here is how well YOU work with YOUR emotional responses. From what you say, it doesn't sound as if you have much mastery or skill at handling your emotions and may be somewhat a slave to your subconscious patterns.

You are not allowed to discriminate and it is a criminal offense.

• Larry K.

....and this is supposed to answer the question??

This is impossible to answer without more information. First, I would ask if the man were a patient in a hospital who you had helped and he was young and handsome, would you feel violated? I don't wish to be unsympathetic or mean, and since I don't know you I'm asking you to not take this personally. Sometimes people who work at charities do so not because they are altruistic but for specious reasons. They may want people to see how good they are. They may want to reaffirm their superiority over the "inferior" people they help. I'm not saying this is you, and I haven't seen the man's actions so it's impossible to judge if he were simply expressing his gratitude or was being predatory. All I can say is that most of the time unfortunates are so grateful for the help they receive that their display of gratitude may seem disproportionate to the help you've given.

• Cogito

Are you 'write'?

Do you mean 'right'?

You're overreacting.

Some people are a bit more into hugs and cheek kisses than others.

He was just saying thanks in his own way.

Forget it.

• Lôn

Don't lie...all you do all day is keep posting these stupid questions over and over and over! No wonder you are still a virgin and girls mock you.