stefan asked in PetsRodents · 7 months ago

should I still leave the rat bait in the shed?

there has been rats in my shed and I put a bait station small cardboard box with ratsak pellets and about two days later it got eaten and when I put another one it hasn't been eaten. I was wondering if I should take it away or leave it and for how long?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • J C
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Good job - you have poisoned the rats, and any critter that eats them. Dogs, cats, birds like owls, foxes etc. all will eat the bodies, and then get poisoned themselves and die. While rats need to be controlled, poison is NOT the way to go. Get yourself some rat-sized snap traps. Bait them with bacon. They are effective and do not poison other critters. If you have dogs or other pets that go outside, be sure to pick up the dead bodies (with gloves or a shovel) and dispose of them securely.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Once the poison stops being taken, you can assume it's done it's job. You might leave it for a week or two but do make sure you check your garden for any dead bodies, if you have pets. And DO NOT let them get into the shed if you have bait out. Unpopular with some as it might be, I believe the only good rat, is a dead rat. For starters they carry leptospirosis.

• J C
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Ah yes, but poison is not the way to go. The dying rats are seen as easy prey, and are eaten by owls, foxes, and free roaming pets who also become poisoned and die. Snap traps kill the rats, and avoid harm to wild critters and pets.

• Liar
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You should burn that crap. It's garbage, as the rats that eat it will die and be eaten by other animals who will in turn get very sick or die themselves.

There are any number of effective, reusable traps that are entirely more effective and less environmentally destructive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.