Danny asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 5 months ago

Error 0x80070057 for windows 10?

I've come across this error a few times, and when i try to fix it either the fix doesn't work or the fix is specifically for updating windows files, which isn't what i'm doing. the files i've tried downloading are completely unrelated to windows so i don't understand what the issue is.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

that error code is related to bad disk sectors or damaged file structure tables. This would explain why it may keep re-occuring if recopying an existing file back to the same place or whatever it is you are trying to do. Since microsoft do not provide any disk diagnostics software that could correct that fault, you would need to do the following. 1) you must run and complete a full Disk Check which repairs any faults in the file tables. That could result in some sector faults being repaired but generally applies the wrong rule of...lets keep that disk sector if we can repeatedly write/read it and eventually get a good result. Whereas what you need is, if the sector is faulty declare it bad and dont use it again. 2) you must run a disk diagnostics(usually the disk makers diags) and that will repair/move/replace any bad sectors. Examples are Seagate SEATOOLS bootable cd version. Western Digital Lifeguard bootable cd version. Hitachi/IBM DFT bootable cd version. Anything else simply wont correct the problem, unless you replace the whole drive.

• Mark
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Half the time, those fix-its don't work. Do you have a restore point you can roll back to? If not, try setting one for today, then in a few days' time, reset back to it. See if that takes care of the problem.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.