I recently got a degree in mechanical engineering with math minor but im now working as a machinist. Is pursuing this a good idea?

I spent 6 years getting my degree and I am now stuck on a nightshift job in a loud manufacturing facility making medical implants. I'm making less than 20 bucks an hour and feel incredibly dissappointed with my self. The company hired some sophmore level engineering interns over the summer to work in the engineering department while im getting oily and sweaty working with these machines trying to work out why these students are being treated better than me.

It is nice to know how to machine, but no, time to wrap it up as a machinist. You work at night, so you have days to figure out your next step. Big advantage. Take your degree and experience and contact the engineering employment agencies where you want to live. Names of the national agencies include Aerotek and Kelly Engineering. Talk to people in these agencies and see where they could place you. Be flexible, but get an engineering job.

Yes, I hear your pain. Breaking into the market is tough BUT, In your present job you are:

Earning money, Gaining experience in machining and working full time for a company, learning to deal with the people in a company.

Keep: looking for an engineering job elsewhere.

Learning how to work for and please your bosses.

Keep a notebook on improvements you could do on this job to cut costs, improve speeds etc. This you will use as a tool during interviews for another job. Hang out with his one until you land another. DON T

tell your employer you are looking for another job.

YES, COLLECT MORE PRACTICAL WORK EXPERIENCE TO HELP ABLE TO JUMP TO HIGHER POSITION.

• Dixon

That doesn't sound like graduate employment to me. I don't know what the market is like for mech eng but chances are you must be prepared to relocate to get the sort of work you want. That is the rub with many vocational degrees, the jobs pay well but they are not everywhere.

You can have tried something else

My ex brother-in-law got a degree in liberal arts. He wrote this thesis on Why America is Racist. Now of course, this idiot has a worthless degree and can't find a job. He actually lives under an overpass now and his main activity is going to protest marches.

• Viktor D6 months agoReport

There is a difference between an arts degree and a STEM degree. You didn't answer my question.