Gloria asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 5 months ago

What do Native Americans think about Disney's Pocahontas?

I've been looking into the real story and one article explained that some enjoy or appreciate the portrayal of a strong, confident Native American. But I've also heard that the movie isn't liked because of how wrong the movie tells the story. I want to know if one or the other is true or maybe some do and some don't like the movie.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

There are probably divided opinions now, just as there were at the time. Some Native Americans found it problematic for a variety of reasons, including the romance between Pocahontas (who in reality was only about 13 at the time) and John Smith. Many saw it as just another instance of white people using stereotyped tropes about Indians and telling stories about them as if they only existed in the past. But the film did star Native Americans Irene Bedard as Pocahontas and Native American activist Russel Means as Powhatan. Means praised the film as a rare of the dominant euro-American society admitting that it was wrong and that white people had come here as invaders. Some Native Americans appreciated it as a rare example of positive representation of Native Americans.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

The liberals need to turn Pocahontas into a black man. They like doing this kind of stuff these days, and calling everyone else haters, because they don't like to stick with established characters and people.

• 5 months ago

they left out lying to get into college

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

They think it's pretty lame. They also despise Elizabeth Warren for claiming to be an Indian to get special privileges.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You can't generalise like that. That's like asking if all white Americans like avocado.

Some do, some don't.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.