Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture Β· 6 months ago

Why do people feel the need to be so inconsiderate?

Not too long ago, I posted a question asking if someone would be able to check over my answers for a biology assignment I was given to do over the course of the summer. I wasn't asking for the answers, and I honestly tried my best to answer every question properly. Much to my dismay, no one responded to my question, and so I re-posted each question individually (I understand now that this was unnecessary, but I'm not a patient person). Hours later, I finally got a few responses - and guess what? They're all incredibly rude. I was told to drop out before it's too late, that my answers were "fu*cking rubbish", and that they were all worth a failing grade. I understand that they aren't the best, but as a 14 year old girl who values grades more than her own life, and is incredibly sensitive in some cases, these claims really hurt me - even if they shouldn't have. So, why did they feel the need to say these things? I'm alright with constructive criticism, or even just being told to check over them again, but outright bashing me just hurts.

• Foofa

There's a section here for Homework Help and if you didn't put your question in that category that's likely why no one answered.

Because people can be mean. That's why I don't bother with them

• polly

It's a common phenomenon for people on Y/A to be nasty,because they'd rather attempt to dent your self esteem & crush your spirit than be decent to you.

The fact that you're 14 years old & seeking genuine & honest feedback on your biology answers isn't a concern to them.

Keep in mind that it says more about the people that took the opportunity to outright bash you & your assignment answers than it actually does you.They must be so miserable & hate-filled to stoop to such a low act

• susan

Psychologists have known for a long time that when people are wearing masks, they act wilder, more uninhibited. They will do and say things that they wouldn't do without the mask, even if the mask is not preventing people around them from knowing who they are. There is something about people not being able to see your face that unleashes human beings.

Now we have the internet, and it has the same effect as a mask. People online seem to feel more free to unleash some inner prankster or bully or just generally outrageous jerk that they apparently carry around within their pysche. I don't know whether unleashing it here makes them more or less likely to act that way in real life. I do know that if you want to ask for reassurance, an open online forum like this (where any stranger may say anything to you) is not a good place to get it. Someone might eventually do what you needed and take a look at your answers and guide you. But before you find that person, you will find more of the wild bullies than is good for you. I don't know if you have read Gullivers Travels to get this reference, but "Yahoo Answers" is very aptly named.

Keira, there are as many reasons that some people behave that way as there are mean people. In my experience, there are two underlying causes. The first is that hurt people hurt people. The second is that people are often mean to others because it makes them feel better about themselves. It doesn't really make sense but that is how some emotionally damaged people think.