Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

Why do I fear physical intimacy?

I can’t figure out why I’m like this. I fear it so much. I’ve been trying to think if there’s something that happened in my childhood to make me like this but I honestly don’t know. There have only been maybe two things that I would guess are culprits. When I was 8, my friend’s brother and his friend pushed me onto the bed and started unbuttoning my shirt. It didn’t seem like that big of a deal in the moment though. The other thing is that I liked a guy for four years and then I found out he sexually assaulted another girl. Could these be why I’m like this? Or is it just random and for no reason?

You don’t give any details about your fear, or experience, of intimacy, but anxiety about it is normal and natural to some extent. That’s why virgins are more shy than experienced people.

• HOOT

The cause of this fear has a lot to do with childhood experiences. It may take some counseling to be able to overcome this because it can be very painful, for you and for those who love you. Sexuality is a part of life and God created men and women to be mates and his purpose was for them to fill the earth. Sex was not meant to be dirty like what's found in porn. Also, he is against acts such as rape and child abuse.

I find that prayer and meditating on God's word has helped me through different trials and traumas in life. Besides counseling, try praying about it. Never underestimate the power of prayer. Philippians 4:6,7 says "Do not be anxious over anything,but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus."

Cheating causes that. It's why it's considered abuse too.

Yes betrayal, cheating, trauma are usually the causes.

Try to date someone nice who isn't that fond of sex but who still likes it just not desperate to the point of cheating and causing a new trauma.

Avoid insensitive people e.g. angry, flirty, etc those tend to be insensitive and egocentric.