Is it normal for sex to be painful for the woman?

It is very difficult for me to insert anything into my vagina without pain, no matter what I do beforehand — this includes fingers, tampons and obviously a partner's penis. Anything you'd think of as preparation, I've done. It still hurts, sometimes not much but other times so badly I start to panic and feel sick. Am I overreacting? Is it normal to experience pain during insertion like this?

It is normal to have pain in insertion even finger, it is possible that the opening hole vagina is stenosed, you should see gynaecologist they will see the correct reason of this and will correct it.

• Marla

This needs a gynecologist’s assessment.

You may have either a psychological issue that causes you to tense up, or an actual abnormal narrow vagina.

The latter is easily fixed with gradual stretching done with the insertion of progressively larger dilators.

No, it's not normal.

See your GP.

It is NOT normal. See your doctor.

• Tavy

Yes it can be and an examination might be helpful. Some womens vaginas goes into spasm, some have very tight openings. Talk to your Doctor, it is not uncommon.