mars, so what?

anyone else think mars is just another planet man inetnds to turn in a sess pit, surely we shold be getting our own back yard in oder before pissing on some body elses lawn, i keep hearing we should move to other planets to protect the species, but anything happening to earth is just as likely to happen on mars

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I guess I have a different view...

>>anyone else think mars is just another planet man inetnds to turn in a sess pit,

One nice thing about approaching the exploration of a new planet - we choose which parts to explore, and who explores them. While we don't have any plans of turning Mars into a 'sess' pit, we will also be approaching the planet with advanced technology & limited numbers of people... Mars may not remain pristine, but...it won't be overrun with the humanity we see on Earth today.

>>surely we shold be getting our own back yard in oder before pissing on some body elses lawn,

Maybe the means to getting our own back yard in 'oder' is to explore other places, developing the technology to travel there, to survive there, to build there... We've been trying to clean up our own back yard for hundreds of years... it would only work if *everyone* on the planet works together - and... we know how that goes...

Maybe by limiting who gets to go - the ones who do *can* work together to keep Mars ideal.

>>i keep hearing we should move to other planets to protect the species,

>>but anything happening to earth is just as likely to happen on mars

No, I disagree.... with the exception of a solar event, there are dozens of things that can happen to a planet without affecting others - disease, meteor strikes, geologic events, war... what may kill the population on one planet may not affect another; and in that respect, you'd keep the species going.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

Of course it is just another planet. A very hostile one at that. And it will cost around a trillion dollars to send some bloke there. That is good spending money that could be applied to far more worthy projects.

Many people seem to be unaware that the space age is closing, and manned spaceflight is now completely obsolete. It was necessary to send a crew to space back in the sixties and seventies because robotics was in it's infancy. But now robotics has surged ahead and it is possible to send extremely capable, efficient robots into space at a tiny fraction of the cost of a manned mission. But some folks are stuck in the past, and either don't understand the capabilities of modern robotics or are still stuck in "man the centre of the universe" mode.

The danger of this "go to Mars to protect the species" routine, that gets regularly wheeled out, is that it creates the idea that we can go on trashing the planet because we can somehow all waft off into space. As long as that escape hatch to space is perceived to be available, the Earth will continue to be trashed. Far better for us to realise now that this is the only planet we have, instead of waiting to find out after it is trashed.

• 8 months ago

Not fooled, by we i meant we as a species, im under no delusions only the pretty and rich will be allowed to florish,

• John
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Nice to know you live in a sess pit. I do not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

No, because it will give the human race as a whole perspective on our situation and place in the Universe if we were to become a spacefaring species. Just going into orbit changes people's mindsets about the world and research into the Martian climate may have prevented a nuclear war through the discovery of the nuclear winter. The more we engage with space, the more enlightened we will become.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Boy they really have you fooled.. “we”means only a select few. .and, leave the rest to scavenge among themselves. They won’t need a wall cause they have spaceships and you won’t be able to drive there but until then....stay hopeful and leave a diary for your great great great grandkids of these wonderful days before the rich, powerful and beautiful breeders abandoned earth.

• John P
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Actually "cess pit" - spelling.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.