Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

Anxiety post nursing school?

I just graduated from nursing school with my BSN. It was hard and took a long time but it was worth it. I’m studying for my NCLEX now. Thinking about the future and where to apply as well. I noticed last month I started to get anxiety while driving. I noticed at random points I could feel heart palpitations, my palms sweaty, and like the car is out of control so I have to step on the brake a little. I have always been a good driver and this has never happened before last month. It’s mainly on the freeways too, when I go fast. But I also notice it in general. On the treadmill if I’m going fast, or when I was on the swings at the park. So I don’t think my driving ability is actually the issue here, I do think it’s my anxiety with taking on the RN role. I know I have what it takes but I worry and think a lot about things going wrong. I know I should go to therapy. But I am also considering asking my doctor for an anxiety med, possibly a benzodiazepine. I know it’s a risk with dependency but I’m not sure how long this can go on. I need to drive and not be nervous at all. What are some techniques to help me cope in the mean time? Do you think an anti anxiety med would work for me in this case?

I am bored. Here is a long answer, if you are a troll, I will make you read a lot. Somewhere is the short answer.

Pre-NCLEX life was good? Since most nurses are female, let's assume that. Your gender matters and you never said.

Without knowing a lot more all answers anyone here gives you are worthless, this one included. You are describing pretty wicked anxiety which rarely just "pops up". Neurobiology / Neurochemistry command that changes to the brain things like BPD, C-PTSD or PTSD create often take years. Onset of illnesses like those is almost always 18-24 for women. I bet the age range fits. Self-diagnose, I guess rule those out 100%. There have been no other noticeable patterns or symptoms for the last 10 yrs that point to this? All was 100% ok until 1 month ago and you are confident 100% trauma/drama free?

Being a nurse, you know like we here at Yahoo know... The type of stress you described is real. Its a genuine internal "pressure" or 'energy'. Often it can "drown you in your own emotion". Its one of the top killers in the USA/UK leading to heart and health problems. Not dealing with it is the worst thing to do. If there are other concerns they all get worse until about 65.

Agreed - not driving. Aside from that you left out too much history, too many details. Come on vague questions require vague answers. If you are going to be a nurse, have your BSN and not trolling us - you are a wicked person (amazing/smart). Now rather than going down the wrong track, you need to deal with whatever is going on.

"I worry and think about things going wrong" "I know I should go to therapy". Has some underlying tones of "experiential avoidance". Being a nurse is impossibly hard. NCLEX sucks, often people suck and don't listen - Honestly they won't ever understand. Could it be a combination of those things? Sure I consulted with other Yahoo professionals and they agree - TOTES. It is just more likely a few other things are or have been going on for weeks, months or years.

There is nothing wrong with Benzos, you do what works for you. Your body learns to tolerate them fine. Like a shot of tequila or marijuana, they will take that edge off. Needs Based Therapy says you need to do whatever works for you as long as you understand and accept risk associated with it. If marijuana is just wrong for you or a shot of tequila not ok to you, then Benzos. I bet a nurse is strong enough to understand and accept any risk.

Any form of therapy begins and ends with "talk" (communication). It is not the 1900s anymore though. We moved far beyond Freudian psychotherapy. As someone suggested: CBT, DBT, Tapping or something similar - google them with the term "anxiety" (Automatic Negative Thoughts/ Negative Automatic Thoughts).

A chief listener really should be hired. Male/Female who cares. Someone who understands your concerns and possibly what nursing is like to some degree. It can't be a best friend though, too much emotion there. But someone who will listen, validate & not be afraid to push when needed. Close friends are bad for this role because of bias/take your side or only see your side. Often a therapist is not needed but a person to talk to who gets it. Remember all therapy is communication. You need to be seen and heard. The chief listener is your cheerleader someone to support you and your helper someone to push when needed.

If you feel benzos would help, they probably would It is important you take them. But as a person usually a purely pharmacological fails. If 6 rooms in a house are burning and you only put out 2, the house still fails. With people we have: Emotional, Physical, Sexual & Intellectual needs. A holistic approach to all rooms is best.

I work with women in shelters & prisons (Midwest; USA). Your story isn't common. But it happens a lot. Not doing anything is the worst thing you can do. Not talking to someone even if just random campus people is almost as bad. Pending whats wrong you learn to cope, deal and survive or remove it (anxiety/problems).

I listen to anyone for free once they buy me a bottle of tequila... See my email says so: Listenforyou@protonmail.com

Short answer:

You really did not tell us enough. There are a million things you do.

Driving and nursing cannot be done safely on benzos and if you harm another person as a result of being cognitively impaired then you're responsible for your actions. The safest thing to do is learn mindfulness meditation and teach yourself CBT and if you really need medication then a beta blocker is a safe but effective option.