Anxiety post nursing school?

I just graduated from nursing school with my BSN. It was hard and took a long time but it was worth it. I’m studying for my NCLEX now. Thinking about the future and where to apply as well. I noticed last month I started to get anxiety while driving. I noticed at random points I could feel heart palpitations, my... show more I just graduated from nursing school with my BSN. It was hard and took a long time but it was worth it. I’m studying for my NCLEX now. Thinking about the future and where to apply as well. I noticed last month I started to get anxiety while driving. I noticed at random points I could feel heart palpitations, my palms sweaty, and like the car is out of control so I have to step on the brake a little. I have always been a good driver and this has never happened before last month. It’s mainly on the freeways too, when I go fast. But I also notice it in general. On the treadmill if I’m going fast, or when I was on the swings at the park. So I don’t think my driving ability is actually the issue here, I do think it’s my anxiety with taking on the RN role. I know I have what it takes but I worry and think a lot about things going wrong. I know I should go to therapy. But I am also considering asking my doctor for an anxiety med, possibly a benzodiazepine. I know it’s a risk with dependency but I’m not sure how long this can go on. I need to drive and not be nervous at all. What are some techniques to help me cope in the mean time? Do you think an anti anxiety med would work for me in this case?
2 answers 2