Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

i’m adopting an unneutered dog. how long should i wait to neuter him?

i’ve seen some people say to do it right away, and others say to wait until the dog is more used to the new home. i start school in a month so if i waited very long i wouldn’t have as much time to spend making sure he’s comfortable while he’s recovering

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If he's grown up, do it now. Has NOThiNG to do with a new home. Since you have time now to monitor him and bond with him, its a good time for the surgery to neuter him before you go back to school.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Where did you adopt from? Most all adoptions are already spayed/neutered before releasing to a new home.

Any time you get a new dog you need to run it through a Vet for a wellness check up & to get the dog utd on shots. While getting checkup & shots ask Vet when he/she prefers to neuter your dog. Leave that decision for the Vet.

• 6 months ago

Ask your vet - who you need to take the dog to => *RIGHT AWAY* to be sure the dog you are adopting (obviously NOT from a bona fide shelter or rescue group) is HEALTHY or not, first. Any reputable such adoption group WOULD NOT LET AN INTACT DOG GO OUT - INTACT!

No dog *has to be neutered* unless it is cryptorchid and that is for its own health & well being & ideally, not until its growth plates have closed.

Neutering will prevent puppies, but it WILL NOT prevent or change BAD behavior; only TRAINING will fix that.

A dog who has heart worms usually CANNOT be neutered until those have been treated or cured. You also need to secure the shot & de-worming information, flea treatment (what is used, when given and IF the dog is ON heart worm prevention - what brand or product & when it is given) on YOUR DOG from whom ever you are adopting from. You also need to get information on what food is being currently fed, how often and what times of day. Do you know whether the dog is house broken or crate-trained? Does it know any other commands? Make a list of questions & get the name of their treating vet & GET the dog's RABIES TAG!

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

TU from me for this - "No dog *has to be neutered* unless it is cryptorchid and that is for its own health & well being & ideally, not until its growth plates have closed. And the bit about training, not relying on castration.

• J C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Depends on the age and breed (or mix of breeds) of the dog. A dog should not be neutered until their growth plates of the joints have closed. That is sooner/younger in a small breed or mix, and up to 18 month in a large breed/mix. If your dog has reached that, then the sooner you neuter him the sooner he recovers. Note that neutering doesn't stop bad behavior, training does.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

As you will be taking it to the vet for a check up to make sure it is healthy as soon as you get it and get any treatment it needs the vet is the person to get advice from as they will assess its health/age etc.........in so far as " allowing it to get used to its new home" dogs live in the moment ( unlike humans) with any dog and especially rescues you have about 3 weeks to establish your leadership, rules of your home, so day one you get the dog that is the start of training of how life is now and that will ensure the dog feels secure as you take responsiblity for its wellbeing, life to establish it quickly into its new surroundings, as nuetering is something you are intending to do ( good) so get it done asap and with a male it is a quick, easy op and within 24 hours 99% are 'back to normal', you just need to make sure it doesn't interfer/lick/bite any stitches and don't jump up/down/off furniture but lead walking, training, obedience can be and should be done

• 6 months ago

NO male should be castrated until his growth plates have closed, for starters. I don't believe in castration unless for medical need eg a retained testicle(s) in any case. Wait until the dog is at least a year old, by which time you should have been able to know the dog better, and make a more informed decision about castration. Provided the dog is properly contained so he can't go roaming the neighbourhood, there should be absolutely no need for surgery, however small!

The only plus with castration is the prevention of unwanted litters which again if he's not allowed to wander the neighbourhood, won't happen. It won't prevent unwanted behaviour. TRAINING will.

Tks for the support J . clearly others don't agree, not unexpectedly LOL. This place is rife with the neuter brigade.

• Jojo
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I agree 100% with Verulams answer.

• 6 months ago

Do it right away.

• 6 months ago

Ask the vet. There are so many things to take into consideration like the breed, behavior, health risks.

If you neuter the dog before puberty, it’ll have longer bones which can cause problems for bigger taller dogs since they don’t have the foundation to support their weight.

• patty
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

its best to get the male dog done b4 puberty. stops dog being sex mad.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Next week. .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.