Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 7 months ago

There are no good colleges at where I live?

I live in South Dakota and all the colleges here suck, none which are prestigious. I probably won’t be able to afford to go far away to college so I will probably be stuck in this crappy state going to a crappy college. Does my future look really bleak?

Thats your problem for living in a fly over state

You can join the honors program at the colleges. As long as you go to an accredited school you should be fine long term. Also you can always go to a better graduate school.

• Mamie

Ultimately, the college that you attend doesn't matter. What matters is your attitude toward your schoolwork and the grades you get. I know a young person (not so young anymore, actually) who attended her local state college. She swears it was the best education she could have gotten anyplace. Graduated phi beta kappa, with a scholarship to do masters and doctorate work. Now she's got a most-enviable job earning a most-enviable salary.

So pick the local college that seems most suitable for you and get working at those wonderful grades.

• Mamie

There is no way I am going to put some else's private information on line. It's true. If you don't believe it, I couldn't care less.

Try student loans. Don't you like it?

Its called the military my dear.. join it.

trade schools are better

Augustana University has a good reputation, ranked fourth in the Midwest.

College is for suckers

Jk but a trade is better

• drip

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/sd

Quit whining, start going on college visits with your parents. Meet with the admissions office. Meet with the head of the department for your intended major. Take a tour of the campus. Eat in the dining hall. Talk to the students.

Apply to several universities. See where you get in and who gives you the best financial aid package. If your grades and transcripts are good enough for prestigious universities, go ahead and apply to them. Harvard can give out good financial aid

Depending on your intended major & your budget, there are some schools which aren't too far from you which you should look at. U Nebraska - Lincoln, U Iowa, U Minnesota: state schools, and not bad at all. Certainly larger & better known than anything in SD or ND.