Which major is better: Computer Science or Chemistry/Pre-med?

Which has the best career outlook?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Those are both completely different career paths. Which is better is not an objective decision but is something you will have to decide for yourself. Both careers have good job prospects. Physicians generally have a higher salary, but they also have to go through many more years of training and have to be admitted to medical school in the first place (most med schools only take the top 10% of qualified applicants.) As well as this, physicians work for many more hours a day than the average employee and often have to be on call and come in to the hospital in the middle of the night for emergencies. It is a high stress lifestyle that is not worth it if someone is just interested in the money or prestige.

If you truly have an interest in both subjects, I would suggest finding people in both fields to shadow so you can decide which job you would truly enjoy.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Rather than thinking about career prospects, consider whether you want to care for people or not. Radiologists are the only doctors that do not work with patients.

• 6 months ago

It all depends on YOU - your talents, skills, abilities, interests, personality & character traits. What makes a good "compu-geek" typically makes a lousy doctor.

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Much would depend on where in the world you were hoping for a career. And even a "career" might be secondary to your personal knowledge of your own abilities. There is never an absolute answer to a question of that sort. Check with the career department in your school.

• 6 months ago

i would guess computer science, because technology is basically the future. even areas of the medical field will become computerized (think of robots performing surgeries). but i think both are pretty important to the near future. go with what you really like.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.