I m going to start training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, what are some things I need to know before I sign up for classes?

I ve been a fan of the sport for awhile now and have been interested for years. I do have some specific questions, and am just looking for advice before I go to a bjj school. 1. Gi s...how do I find my size, do they come with pants, and should I expect to be given a gi when I sign up? 2. What other gear should I... show more I ve been a fan of the sport for awhile now and have been interested for years.
I do have some specific questions, and am just looking for advice before I go to a bjj school.

1. Gi s...how do I find my size, do they come with pants, and should I expect to be given a gi when I sign up?

2. What other gear should I go purchase so that I m always prepared and don t show up without the proper equipment?

3. What are some things to avoid doing so I don t upset coaches or be accidentally disrespectful? I m a pretty humble guy and I understand not to talk trash and be aware that pretty much everyone there could choke the hell out of me if they wanted, but are there certain traditions that I should follow as to not disrespect the art?

4. I m interested in the self defense factor and am not really interested in competing at this point, but are their any advantages to competing vs just training for self defense/fun?

5. This is by far the dumbest question, and this isn t a factor in wanting to do this, but is it frowned upon to wear a red gi? I ve just always thought red is the coolest color on a gi. Kinda like Ken from street fighter lol.

Other than that I don t really have any specific questions, but feel free to leave any added advice.
I m excited to get started on the long journey to learn as much as I can in the art of bjj.
1 answer 1