Do you have to intern in the field your degree is in?

For example, I'm a Marketing major so would I need to intern in Marketing only? Or could I intern in like say, law enforcement or technology? Thank you!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

If it’s not relevant to your studies it’s not an internship, it’s just a job.

• 1 year ago

yes , this is the whole purpose of interning - get experience in the field your degree is in

• 1 year ago

Depends on what you mean intern in a different area. If you are talking interning as a law enforcement officer, no it probably won't be accepted, but if you interned in the public outreach department at a law enforcement agency, that would count since public outreach uses marketing skills. Your internship should be set up to use the skills your major is covering, not something you just want to do as a lark.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Why would anyone hire you as an intern in a field you know nothing about, and what good would it do you even if they did?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • tabdor
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

You should intern in the field you want to work in, otherwise it won't help your career, plus you'd be taking that opportunity away from someone else who it would be more useful for.

• nt
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

You can but most employers would want the field you are studying. And some degrees REQUIRE it.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You would have to find something the is related to your degree field.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Only some schools require an internship. They may allow a related area but not an unrelated one like you suggest.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.