Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 6 months ago

Are we prepared to protect ourselves at all if an asteroid or a huge meteor heads our way?

I wonder what would happen if something like that was going to happen. I feel like we're not really taking any precautions or not even planning ahead, we could become extinct like the dinosaurs. I think I've lived a good life, although, I probably should've asked a girl out but I guess would be prepared to die when an big asteroid or meteor would hit us to kill us all.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If the meteor or asteroid is detected in time it might be possible for all the nations of the world to launch nukes not to hit the asteroid which probably would not destroy it but to cause a blast wave on the side of it is that what alter its trajectory causing it to Miss Earth

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

There are four steps to take, and we've *begun* the first step...

1. Map the asteroids that pose a danger to Earth. - this is in process, and they find new ones every day.

2. Select several asteroids to test. - Test trajectory-altering techniques on several types of asteroids, ones that pose no danger to Earth. Select the best strategy as a defense.

3. Equip a program with a plan for boosters and spacecraft necessary to deflect an asteroid on a projected impact course. - You don't need to build the boosters, but you should have a fund allocated for the project; when a rock is detected, *then* you build the necessary booster for whatever the deterrent spacecraft is. (This should be an international fund, released when necessary to the nation or nations building the booster/spacecraft). Hopefully, we can detect an incoming rock 30, 40, 50 years in advance...

4. Execute the mission upon detection. (In the words of Larry the Cable Guy - Git 'er done...)

• 6 months ago

Not at this time. Early detection (a decade or longer before disaster) is essential. Then some modification of a medium sized asteroid might happen. One kilometer or so diameter object that is very solid might be moved by a solar sail, or by a gravitational attractor engine, or even a series of small explosions. Maybe even painting one side could do it.

But larger than one kilometer, those are very difficult to deal with, even over a decade. There will have to be a lot of research done and a lot of money spent.

That last point is really hard. People like to think their lives will proceed gracefully and peacefully. The dinosaurs thought that too. They had no space program, they could not develop a good defense. But people could, if they spent a bit. A couple dollars from every single person on Earth might save all people everywhere. And Jeff Bezos could pay for everyone a couple times over if he quit trying to shoot people into space and tried to save humans from extinction.

• 6 months ago

Not even in the least bit. I actually read an article to that effect within the past month or so.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

No. We don't have the abilities to change the course of any asteroid. We can barely get a tiny space probe off the earth.

• 6 months ago

Short answer, NO!

I live in Southern California, and the government is not even prepared for a major earthquake!

Last time we had a major disaster, we had 2 lines going into rescue areas:

The first line was everyone affected.

The second line was all the people with donations and volunteers to help out.

People were going around with horse trailers rescuing horses and other livestock and taking them to the fairgrounds, while others were bringing in hay, etc. Vets were even showing up to check the animals for free.

While everyone was cared for, the government provided nearly nothing. But it gave us all a great appreciation of our neighbors, friends and complete strangers!

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

if sornething like that hit rne id be gone so fast so i dont think about it since i wouldnt even know it happened

• 6 months ago

The meteor that killed the dinosaurs was 65 million years ago. Hasn't happened since! That's not to say it couldn't happen, but it's just extremely unlikely -and- we don't really have technology to prevent it. In the movies they always blow one up with a big nuke, but that results in a shower of huge radioactive boulders, rather than a meteor, and is that better?

We have much worse, much more pressing existential threats facing us today. Like global warming.

Meanwhile, you should ask a girl out. Worst thing that could happen is she says no. Much more likely, she'll go out with you and things will seem to go just swimmingly, but then when you call her back for a 2nd date she'll 'ghost' you. I had a lot more first dates than second dates. I think that's par for the course.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.