Sarah asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

Can I make dog treats with Doxycycline?

My furbabe has to take 4 pills (all at once) of Doxycycline bc we found out he has Lyme disease. (He's a rescue and previous owners did not have tick medication on him)

Can I make dog treats and put his dose in the treats? For example: make some dog treat dough. Pull off section of dough for one cookie. Mix 4 crushed pills into that cookie....so you know....each cookie has the dose he needs. I don't know how else to explain it.

But he's caught on to all my pill giving tricks so I'm wondering of this would be ok to do so he'll get his meds.

Would cooking the Doxycycline ruin it?

Thank you

Favorite Answer

No, you cannot. The are pills so that the dog will take a pill and then digest it. It won't hit his system all at well.

I know what you mean.

Yes, "cooking the Docycycline" will ruin it.

Giving dogs pills is something that is very easy to do. & something you have to condition your dog to allow you to do. He is teaching you instead of you teaching him. I go about pilling like I had a job to do & I just did it.

My dogs will do anything for me, I can touch or grab any where, cut toe nails, anything. It has to be done & I do it.

You did not tell us what size/breed the dog is. If it is a large breed dog you may need help until you got the dog conditioned that you are going to give those pills no matter the behavior of the dog.

"Easy ways to pill a dog." googled it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=easy+ways+to+pill+...