Becky asked in PetsCats · 7 months ago

Should I be extremely concerned for my cat? Is it something mild or something serious?

I've noticed that for the past few days that my cat has been extremely lethargic. My husband says he hasn't noticed anything unusual and he thought it was due to bad rainstorms outside. As of yesterday, I started to get very concerned. I put my cat on her bed and swaddled her in a blanket (which she never enjoyed before) then went out. When I came back a few hours later. She was in the same position. She didn't get up to eat or drink anything at all. I also noticed that she now has a limp. She seems to be running a fever from how hot her ears are, her breathing is shallow, she's stopped grooming herself, she's not eating or drinking much, she barely moves, she doesn't purr or react at all if you scratch her, and if you pick her up she seems very lifeless. I have already made her a vet appointment for three more days, but am concerned if I should go ahead and bring her in for an emergency visit.

• Ocimom

She should have been in there days ago - the longer you wait, the less chance she has to recover and you will end up with a more expensive vet bill.

• J C

Three days is three days to long. I seriously doubt that any vet did not tell you to bring her in right away. A cat that is lethargic and not eating is either going to go into liver failure in three more days, or will be dead. Get her seen today - it will soon be too late. This is serious - if you crawled in bed and didn't move or eat, had a fever, and were limping around, would you see the doctor or wait? Get that cat seen - today. Insist the vet see her, or find a vet who will. You have already waited too long. Poor cat is miserable, and is likely now very dehydrated. At the very least take her to the vet to be euthanized, she is suffering and ill and has been for many days now. How cruel.

Seriously? What about this makes you think for a SECOND this is anything CLOSE to normal???

• PR

Three days from now would be much too long. There are cat viruses that can cause limping, as well as other things. Our cat recently had this issue.

Anytime a cat or dog doesn't want to eat, or is lethargic, is time to take the animal to the vet.

But, describing her being so limp she is almost "lifeless" shows she is really sick. I think you can tell from your own description that your cat needs to be seen by the vet, sooner rather than later. Hopefully, she will be O.K. overnight but I would call the E-Vet, and tell them what is going on.

Bad rainstorms have nothing to do with this.

I would definitely NOT wait three days. This cat is sick.

If I called my vet and described the symptoms you have described, they would tell me to come in as soon as possible. If it was the weekend when my vet is not open, I'd find a vet that was open. No one can tell you over the internet what is wrong or if it's serious or not but there is certainly a possibility that it's serious.

• Becky7 months agoReport

I called them and told them the symptoms, but the lady didn't say anything about bringing hr into soon as possible. The cats isn't an old cat. She's around 4 years old.

Your cat may have been hit by a car! Or it may simply have something stuck in it foot that's causing an infection. Or your cat could have a terminal paralytic disease I won't mention the name because it usually causes terror when you say the word. But if your cat is getting deeper and deeper take the cat to the vet and find out if there's any help for it.

• Becky7 months agoReport

The cat is a strictly indoor cat, so I don't think she has been hit by a car.

ER would be appropriate. She might not live three more days under those circumstances.

Emergency visit ASAP