Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 6 months ago

Do ‘talking parrots’ really talk or is there person behind?

birds in flocks imitate other birds chirps, youre like a fellow bird to your pet and they may just "talk" because your voice is like a chirp to them

I have real conversations with my parrot. Okay, most of her words are food based or the basic hello! and bye-bye. It does get a little weird at times. She's not just mimicking what we say, and she knows our names, even the cats. If I call home, she talks to me, asking, "how are you?" and then she says bye-bye and beeps like she's hanging up. She's learned to whistle tons of songs, some long pieces all the way through, and some she's taught herself by listening to classic rock on the radio.

.................

• PR

Some birds may have someone making words for them. But many birds, including parrots, will mimic words or noises. It is said that in the wild, parrots have a specific noise or name for their own baby birds.

Watch the videos of "Disco the parakeet".

In commercials, parrot voices are often voiced by people. This is because parrots that talk are still not likely to say what you want when you want them to.

.

Many parrots do talk, with varying degrees of clarity and comprehension. At the extreme of comprehension, you have Alex the African Grey (see https://www.bl.uk/the-language-of-birds/articles/a... for a brief description) and many anecdotal accounts of intelligent contextual language use. Other birds are just repeating the sound, which they may think of as a kind of flock identifier or ritual. Some birds do both: we have one who uses "Hello" to attract your attention, but sometimes likes to just say the word back and forth with us for several minutes. And their definition of words or phrases may not coincide with yours - it's often more cynical and realistic. We have another bird who will often say "I love you", but to her it's mostly a phrase you use to manipulate people into doing what you want. If you're eating something she likes and not sharing with her, she'll say "Hello? I love you". If "I love you" doesn't work, she'll often try intensifying it to "I love love you" or "I love you you". She never doubles the "I", which indicates some notion of grammar and syntax, even if an incorrect one.

Parrots are reputed to pick up swearing easily. This is true - you tend to be emotional when you swear. They pick up on that and pay more attention.

Friend a parrot is doing pretty much what a tape recorder does it's playing back the sounds that it hears in a circle loop. It's not really talking it's mimicking what it's hearing.

They imitate noises they hear. Other birds do too, especially ravens and magpies.

However, these "talking birds" often use the sounds in a way that seems appropriate to the situation as they see it. Kind of like Donald Trump.