Question about owing NJ Taxes and Certificate of Debt?

I have a deferred payment plan with the state of NJ, and I owed taxes in 2018 (due to home purchase and a 401k withdrawal). I was under the impression that I could either pay that tax or combine it in my current installment plan. Called the state but they said I need to wait for a bill. However, in reading my installment plan paperwork it mentions something about being in default if I owe taxes again, and that a COD could be sought in court.

I'm going to do what I can to work this out, but worst case scenario how much time do I have when I receive a Demand for Payment notice until they execute the COD? I can pay both debts from my account in few weeks, or maybe sooner with credit cards. Just trying to understand how much time I have should the worst case happen.

• Judy

Where did you get the impression you could just keep getting further behind on taxes and just keep piling it into your installment plan? Generally that disqalifies you from having an installment plan. The good news is that they normally don't enforce that if you're keeping current with your installment payments

Without knowing where you are in the process, tough to say how much time you have...

I would make very certain they have my correct address. since you moved last year. They may have already sent that bill...