Should we change the law regarding bail? I think there is a serious flaw in the system?

I believe that the only people who should be allowed to post someones bond is a bail bondsman, the defendents spouse if they are married, or the defendent themselves. The purpose of bond as I understand it is a collateral of sorts. If the defendent shows up on their court dates, they get their money back, and if... show more I believe that the only people who should be allowed to post someones bond is a bail bondsman, the defendents spouse if they are married, or the defendent themselves.

The purpose of bond as I understand it is a collateral of sorts. If the defendent shows up on their court dates, they get their money back, and if they dont show up, they lose it.

But that only works if the accused has a horse in the race.

Lets say I am arrested:

If I post my own bond, I lose the money if I dont show.

If my wife posts my bond, those are joint assets and its ultimately the same thing.

If I call a bail bondsman to come get me out of jail, I still have to put up a percentage myself.

But if my Uncle Ralph comes and bails me out of jail, then it's not me that loses any money if I dont show up in court, Uncle Ralph does.

So why should Uncle Ralph be allowed to come down to the jail and post my bond if it gives me no financial incentive to think twice before skipping town?

That would defeat the purpose of the collateral, so to speak.