Let a potential job candidate down easy?

I m currently in the hiring process, and I interviewed a candidate that looked good on paper, and was fairly well spoken, but something about them just rubbed me the wrong way.

I feel like they may not fit into the office, and something about them just seemed off.

Can anyone let me know maybe how to word a response to them to let them know they re not going to get the job that s not "there was something off about you?"

(Obviously I m being facetious, but you know what I mean)

• Jay

Why? Just be quick about it so you do not waste his time.

What if he turns down a perfectly good job because he is waiting for you to get a suggestion from Yahoo on how to 'let him down easy'

Come on, put on your BIG KID pants and send an email : We've decided not to hire you.

If you are feeling VERY NICE add- good luck with your continued job search.

What I do is send this email:

":Thank you for interviewing with MY COMPANY, INC. While your skill set is good, we have decided to proceed with another candidate."

Note - I only send rejection letters if the person made it to the third (FINAL) set of interviews. If I sent them to everyone, I wouldn't have a lot of time to interview.

AHEM- we are slow right now half the staff is on vacation so the HR dept does systems upgrades, organizational duties and housekeeping until mid August....unless of course someone dies or gets fired...then we have to work.

• tabdor

You don't owe the person an explanation for why you didn't hire him. It's perfectly acceptable and even customary, to simply say "We have filled the position with another candidate. Thank you for your interest."

• nt

No need to. Just call the one you want to hire.

• martin

Pass the responsibility off onto those above you, even if this is false. If this person contacts you and asks directly about his chances, say that your superiors in management are considering other candidates that other interviewers met.

Yup let him down easyyyy