Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 7 months ago

How do I stop hamsters/mice from eating their babies?

I have them in a 17 inch long cage by 12 inches wide.

Your cage is much too small, please get a larger one. Please seperate your male and female animals and do not let them near each other. Please dont breed your animals as you dont know their genetics and this could hurt the babies. The mom will only eat the babies if she is stressed.

I think the best thing you could is not disturb the mother and,most important thing,separate the mother from the male.Male hamsters and mice tend to kill the babies in order to mate as soon as possible with the female.

Never touch the pinkies, as soon as the mothers smells something different on them, she will eat them.

The main thing to do, as far as I'm aware, is avoid scaring or stressing them, especially when the babies are tiny.

You should read 7p on rodent husbandry and setting up a proper nursery tank for them.

A nest box for pups, and room for mama to have space and time for herself and a feeding station for her.

Just the pregnant mama in the nursery, and little stress as possible.

i would ask your vet how to stop that