Ideas for a plot surrounding a romance in a story?

I'm writing a short little story in my free time. I've written a few pages, and while so far I haven't had issues moving the story along (introducing the character's lives, and the starting of the romance). I need a plot to drive the characters forward, and I want something that isn't directly... show more I'm writing a short little story in my free time. I've written a few pages, and while so far I haven't had issues moving the story along (introducing the character's lives, and the starting of the romance). I need a plot to drive the characters forward, and I want something that isn't directly tied to the romance. Essentially I mean

No story centered around issues between them like one of them moving away which complicates things, or drama like a love triangle, or one of them having trust issues or keeping secrets.
I want the 'plot' to be an outside issue dealing with the world around them, like maybe some supernatural phenomenon or weird/bad things going on in their neighborhood (they're high school students btw). So the romance will be influenced by this, but the conflict /of/ the romance isn't the plot. If that makes sense.

If anyone has ideas I would be super grateful.